Skip to content
Electric or Acousti...

Notifications
Clear all

Electric or Acoustic for beginners... two of us.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@fixitrod)
Topic starter  

I am new to the site and really enjoy it. My daughter and I are going to learn to play together. I'm 29 and she's 9. I played the violin/fiddle for 8 yrs and put it down 11 yrs ago. She really wants to learn the guitar but gets very bored. She has only taken two lessons and doesn't like to practice by herself so I'm going to take the oppratunity to learn right along with her so she has a buddy to play with.

Anyway, I purchasing a Yamaha acoustical guitar and think I'll be fine with that. It sounds great according to a family member that has played for 30yrs.

My daughter has a small acoustical guitar. Since the body is so small it really doesn't sound good. I've had the action lowered on it for ease of playing but that didn't change the sound.

Here's my question. Do you think she'd be better off learning on an electric guitar? I've heard they are easier to play but easier to build bad habits on.

Another option I've thought of is buy one full size electric we both can play on. She can reach a full size with a little work but it won't be long and she'll fit.

Please, any beginner info is great. Any other info besides an answer to the stated question is great too.

Thank you for your time.

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Check out Daisy Guitars, Excellent quality (made by Schecter) Excellent sound, and good price. They have acoustics, electric/acoustics and electrics. They have thinner necks so it's easier for smaller hands, and not as fustrating forming chords. Helps alot with younger players.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Check out Daisy Guitars, Excellent quality (made by Schecter) Excellent sound, and good price. They have acoustics, electric/acoustics and electrics. They have thinner necks so it's easier for smaller hands, and not as fustrating forming chords. Helps alot with younger players.

And plus they have girlish designs, so she'd probably be happy with the design/color. :) Here are a few: http://www.music123.com/Daisy-Rock-p2134773614q1.music?ds=1&source=google&pw=daisy+rock
And here's the website: http://www.daisyrock.com/

Don't forget to include an amp, picks(really cheap, like a buck for a few), a strap, and a cable in your budget. :) Happy buying!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I bought my daughter a mini strat, she is 9. The acoustic was not "cool" enough, she wanted an elelctric like mine. She was able to reach all the fretboard on the mini, but not on my Carvin. My daughter is small, in the low 40% in height and weight scales so the mini is right for her. The easiest to play are nylon string guitars, but depends on what you want to play in the end. Good luck on your selection. You may want to check with nick, noteboat, kingpanther as they actually teach and may offer some good advice on beginner selection.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

A lot will depend on the type of music she wants to play. If she's into classical music (I know, but it is possible), an electric is wrong for her.

Find out what she's interested in - is it strumming chords (to sing along to), playing instrumentals (whether classical, pop or rock), playing lead, playing in a band (give her 6 months before you organise the record deal, OK? :lol: )?

ReplyQuote
(@fixitrod)
Topic starter  

A lot will depend on the type of music she wants to play. quote]

You know, I just assumed she wanted to play "country" type of music because she idolizes my uncle. .... but, I never really sat down and talked to her about it. She tells me she likes the acoustic because it's simple and she doesn't need an amp ( kid has since...lol) but I'll have to find out exactly what type of music interest her. I only thought about ease of playing. Thank You !!

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

You know, I just assumed she wanted to play "country" type of music because she idolizes my uncle. ....

Now, there's trouble for you. :lol:
"Country" guitars range from acoustics, through electric-acoustics, deep-bodied archtops (like Gretsch Country Gentleman), shallow bodied archtops and semi-solids to solids like the Fender Telecaster.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

No matter what sort of music she wants to learn, it would be really nice if you could get your uncle to sit with her and give her some tips, once she's learnt a few chords. I wouldn't advocate him being her teacher, but's that's maybe because I saw the result of my father trying to teach my mother to drive!!.

ReplyQuote