Clear all

Electronic tuners

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone else here use the Korg electronic tuner? ive read the instructions and cant figure it out.
Could maybe someone explain how to use it in laymens terms?

do you just pick one string and when that needle goes in the middel, does that mean its tuned? seems like it cant be that simple.

thanks everyone

SLODOGG62

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Is it the Korg CA-30 like this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210527
Click on View Larger Photo at the above link to see how a tuned A string would appear.

If so, then, yes, when the needle is straight up the string is tuned, assuming the correct note (letter) name is shown in the upper right corner.

Make sure the tuner is calibrated to 440 Hz.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Is it the Korg CA-30 like this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-CA30-Chromatic-Tuner?sku=210527
Click on View Larger Photo at the above link to see how a tuned A string would appear.

If so, then, yes, when the needle is straight up the string is tuned, assuming the correct note (letter) name is shown in the upper right corner.

Make sure the tuner is calibrated to 440 Hz.

Margaret

Exactly. I have the CA-30 and it is a great tuner for the price. It works well with electrics and acoustics and you can use it for other instruments aswell.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

do you just pick one string and when that needle goes in the middle, does that mean its tuned?
Yup, you got it.
seems like it cant be that simple.
You're thinking too hard. It really is that simple.

As long as it says the name of the string you picked in the top left corner, and the needle is in the middle, then you're string is in tune. Repeat for each string and you're ready to play.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The previous posters are half right. When the needle is in the middle (and the green LED is lit) you have tuned to the note, shown in the top corner. What it will not do for you is tell you which octave you're in! You could tune it one octave high or 2 low and it will still tell you that you're in tune (although the chances are that the strings would break, if you tried an octave high).
If you want to be certain, the Korg has a tone generator, factory set to 440Hz, which is the same as the tone from the high E at the 5th fret. Start the tone and play the A at the 5th fret of the high e - if they sound the same pitch, you're OK.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've had a few tuners over the years. I had a fairly expensive Sabine that died on me. :evil: I have the Korg CA-30 now and love it. It's the best tuner I have owned.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've got the Korg GA-30 - simple to use, with the benefit you can also tune strings down or up with it....say for instance you wanted to play in drop D - just press the flat button twice, and tune the E string down till the green light flashes.

Yes they really are that easy to use!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

I've had my Korg GA-30 just about two years. Always liked it until last week
All of a sudden, the "B" tuning function has quit altogether.
Nothing registers for my second string unless I drop tune it down towards Bb, or up towards C.
Same thing if I try (for instance), the fifth string in the second fret....no reading.
Now I can still use the device to tune the second string, just by fretting the second string at the fifth fret and tuning to E....but it is a bit annoying.
I have brand new batteries in it.
Anyone else ever seen this ?

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
 Tome
(@tome)

Make sure the tuner is not set to BASS. I do it all the time. Tune the bass then the guitar won't tune.

Aside from that I don't know.

BTW if you have a pretty good ear you can tune to the dial tone.

You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take a step - MLK

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

I recently bought the Korg 30 and I loath it :evil: I was using an Intelli before that and it never let me down, but I decided to treat myself after reading all the hype. Firstly, and most annoying for me was the fact that you can't tune with a capo on as it has no Transpose feature (which my Intelli has). Also, it seems to be obsessed with Bb!! It will read Bb for a few seconds and a few picks of the note/string I want before finally coming up with the goods! That said, it is definatly more accurate than my other tuner (it's always seemed to struggle to pick up the high E...) but the Korg nail's it straight away - but I just can't seem to live with it. In the end, I nicked the batteries out of it and put them in my Intelli and use that now. Still, £15 for two AA batteries is a bit expensive lol. The Korg is safely on the shelf gathering dust, so if anyone wants it for FREE you're welcome to it!!

I'll stick with Intelli Tuners....

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Heck, I don't even have a tuner that'll check Bb. Mine just do A#.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Make sure the tuner is not set to BASS. I do it all the time. Tune the bass then the guitar won't tune.
Aside from that I don't know.
BTW if you have a pretty good ear you can tune to the dial tone.

You were right.
First try....no difference...but I tried pushing the guitar/bass button a few times, and there it was....working again.
Thanks. 8)

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
 Tome
(@tome)

Cool. It took me a while to figure that out myself.

Has anyone used those clip on tuners?

You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take a step - MLK

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Heck, I don't even have a tuner that'll check Bb. Mine just do A#.
...and I don't see anything wrong with that...I actually use the full A# chord quite often, when I play songs in F.... :lol:

ReplyQuote