Notifications
Clear all

Em/G Fingering

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tuoti)
Topic starter  

Anyone have a tip for how to use my middle finger to mini-barre the A and D strings on this chord without muting the G in the process? This is driving me nuts. :roll: Thanks

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

How many strings do you need for it?

If you're barring, you might get away with muting the A string instead, which makes it a lot easier:

x

Or just use a voicing that puts G on the bottom, since it's in the chord to begin with:

x
x

If you're in open position, why barre? Finger this one 4-2-3:

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tuoti)
Topic starter  

Hmmm....well, I'm a tad confused now. I thought Em/G was this:

So when switching from G to Em/G I leave my pinky and 3rd finger on the high E and B string, but just move my middle finger to cover the A and D strings. Now that I write about it, I can probably use my index finger to cover the A and D strings just as economically. Or I can use two fingers, but the real estate is kind of small if you have big fingers.

I'll figure it out - thank you for your help. I'm sure this is one of those things that you struggle with and struggle with, then one day you just get it.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A slash Chord Em/G in this case puts the G as the bass note.
322000 is the easiest way to play it.
Slash cords give the chord slash then bass note.
Coming from a G leave your index and middle in place and move your ring finger over to the second fret of the D string.

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Yeah, the G is your bass note...play the Em as you would normally and finger the low E at the third fret...I use my ring finger for it right now, but I'm experimenting with a better way...of which i'm sure there is one... :)

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@tuoti)
Topic starter  

I guess I reversed my initial try at documenting the Em/G. From the low E down it goes like this:

With the G coming from the high E. I don't understand the theory enough yet to get around the fretboard with any ease. This is just a lesson coming from my guitar teacher where I practice strumming and chord changes from Em/G to F#/D to G, G to F#/D to Em/G to the song Horse With No Name.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

In chord diagrams like that, the high E goes on top - otherwise we all get confused.

The chord you're showing isn't an Em/G; it's Em7. The notes (lowest to highest) are: E, B, E, G, D, G. Duplicates don't count, so you've really got E-G-B-D, which is Em7... Em doesn't have a D note in it.

When you write a chord with a slash, you're indicating the chord name, plus the LOWEST note to be played - that's what comes after the slash. In this case, E is the lowest note, but Em7/E is redundant.

I'm guessing what your teacher showed you is somehow getting lost in the translation to chord symbols.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tuoti)
Topic starter  

I'm guessing what your teacher showed you is somehow getting lost in the translation to chord symbols.

Well, this was my first class with the guy and he's a guy that's actually been playing semi-professionally for about 20 years. What I wrote down here is straight from my handout from him so he either unintentionally made a mistake or didn't know any better. The latter, of course, is more scary.

On the bright side, I'll definitely need to brush up on my fretboard to keep him honest!

I REALLY appreciate your help - very informative. Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

As it's only your first lesson with the guy, let's take the answers back to first principles:

Using one finger to barre the 4th and 5th strings is probably what's letting you down. Far better to use the 2nd finger on the 4th string and the 1st finger on the 5th string, which just about leaves the 3rd finger free enough to reach over to the 6th string at the 3rd fret.

I've got to admit, though, it's not first lesson material.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote