Skip to content
Embarrassingly newb...

Notifications
Clear all

Embarrassingly newbie question about knobs on electric.

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@quazman)
Topic starter  

I just want to know what they do. Mine has four knobs. If you're looking at the front of it the one at 12 and at 3 seem to control volume, im assuming 4-knobbed guitars would have uniform setting. So if anyone just explain to me what they do, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll think of a good one later.

(@Anonymous)

Usually 2 are for volume and 2 are for tone (if you have humbucker pickups) or you could have 1 volume and 3 for tone (usually single coil pickups)...

Itr would help if you said what kind of guitar you played (ie. stratocaster, les paul, SG, etc.)

ReplyQuote
(@quazman)
Topic starter  

Ibanez

ReplyQuote
(@quazman)
Topic starter  

Oh, sorry I forgot to thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Ibanez

I am not familiar with Ibanez guitars...what model do you have?

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

How many pick ups do you have ? As i have four knobs too but three pick ups so one is for tone and the other three are for volume of each pick up.

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

I believe most dual humbucker/4knob setups are like this:

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

My Dean Hardtail control knobs are set up like TimL's photo above.

Both tone knobs are also push-pull switches - pull out the tone knobs for single coil pickups. To go back to humbuckers push the knobs back in 8)

BS

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member

I won't bother making a new topic for this then, quite shamefully after playing for around 5 months i still have no idea what the 2 tone knobs are for on my strat. Help please :(

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I won't bother making a new topic for this then, quite shamefully after playing for around 5 months i still have no idea what the 2 tone knobs are for on my strat. Help please :(

Thanks

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/index.php

this page will show you how Fender Strats, and Teles switches are set up scroll down and pick your guitar type. then click on the far right column. hope this helps

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Don't know if this will help, but here's something I use my knobs for (maybe help you understand what some people use them for). On my LP I too have four knobs, two tone and two volume. Often I'll drop the volume on say the neck pup and pull back the tone just a bit. I'll then set the bridge pup volume at full along with the tone at "full". What this does in effect is allow me to get a cleaner tone while using the neck pup and then all I have to do is switch to the bridge pup to get a dirtier tone without touching my amp or pedals. Works well for say a clean intro and then suddenly getting distorted when the rest of the intruments kick in. Just one example of course.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Thanks

On my standard (mex) strat, the tone control near the volume controls the tone on the neck pickup, the other tone control the tone for the middle pickup, and there is no tone control for the neck pickup.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote