Clear all

Enjoying practicing time

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Since I've withdrawn from lessons, for the time being, I find myself with a different attitude towards practicing and learning. I don't feel like a 5th grader who has to complete an assignment for Social Studies. I have a couple of songs I'm working on so I can play them from start to finish, and even be able to sing or eke out the words in tune.

Last night I picked up the guitar (chose the acoustic), sat down and just played a few things, mainly practicing a Cmaj7 to Fmaj change (the intro to Imagine). Fmaj is a real bear. I can form it barred across all the strings (and it rings! :D ) or barring the e and b strings, but I'm slow at it. It takes a few seconds to get the fingers positioned. It's getting better, but slowly. Anyway, I just kept pounding away at that for about 1/2 hour, fidoodled with some other tunes and thought to myself "OK, that was good for a quickie session". Then there are other days when I'll just lose myself in practice and go 1 1/2 to 2 hours until my fingers are sore (I love that feeling of accomplishment :lol: ) and make progress.

It's just making yourself have fun and chip away at it. I do it because I want to, even if it's for 15 minutes, and just running through a song a couple of times, backing up, repeating a part, and doing it again.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Sounds like you've re-discovered the reason you picked up the guitar to begin with: FUN! It's a good feeling to be able to put down the guitar and say to yourself, "I got somewhere today. I made progress." :D On the other hand, as you continue, there will be times where you don't feel that way. This just means you are growing as a player. I would encourage you to pick up the lessons again once you feel you're ready. It can only help.

I had a good 1-1/2 hours with my acoustic as well. I'm learning a song by ear and worked on it for 45 mins or so. Made alot of progress. I got all of the chord progressions down and started to disect the some of the smaller parts. Afterwards, treated myself to some blues.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh yes, I intend to pick up lessons again. Probably not until the beginning of the year or when I feel I'm getting confused, lost or not learning.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I've just started lessons, but even my instructor tells me not to take it too seriously and to just have fun with the insturment - the rest will come. :)

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree the most important is to have fun. And also it is good to play every day and if you can, practice every day.

The issue with the F chord is normal, keep practicing and you will play it as the other chords, you will change to/from it on time.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I'm still in the honeymoon period, only been attempting to play since the end of march and now I'm making real progress with songs I've chosen. I often play for two plus hours a day, basically inbetween everything else and a full hour or so at the end of the day. None of it feels like work!

I learned the intro to Metallica's One as one of my first tunes, but the power chord shapes always muted strings etc. Last night I played it perfectly with none of the muting issues, so I decided to learn more since I've clearly progressed. I spent about 3 hours just lost in the music. I hope I can keep the enthusiasm, but at least now I can just belt out a tune or two whenever I'm struggling or feel like I'm wasting my time (never really happened yet).

I've never played the small-barre F, because I was struggling so much with them I thought I might as well practice with the full barre. Now its one of the easier ones to get down fast and clean. What I struggle with is going from a B/Bm to a Fm barre (I think), which is the same shape but one string higher. Basically I'm telling you to keep at it, find a song you love and play the hell out of those Barres! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I kind of view the whole thing as playing time, not practice time. Of course, that does mean that I have to add some structure or all I'm doing is noodling and not progressing. I'm constantly modifying my approach to achieve that perfect blend of pleasure and progress. I do get distracted too easily sometimes, but what are ya gonna do?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I agree the most important is to have fun. And also it is good to play every day and if you can, practice every day.

The issue with the F chord is normal, keep practicing and you will play it as the other chords, you will change to/from it on time.

:D

Yes, my goal is to get even 15 mins. per day of play/practice, preferably more, of course. Unfortunately some days don't lend themselves to even that. I see Fmaj as a challenge. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm still in the honeymoon period, only been attempting to play since the end of march and now I'm making real progress with songs I've chosen. I often play for two plus hours a day, basically inbetween everything else and a full hour or so at the end of the day. None of it feels like work!

Wow! I envy you! I wish I could play and practice for a living. :lol:
I've never played the small-barre F, because I was struggling so much with them I thought I might as well practice with the full barre. Now its one of the easier ones to get down fast and clean. What I struggle with is going from a B/Bm to a Fm barre (I think), which is the same shape but one string higher. Basically I'm telling you to keep at it, find a song you love and play the hell out of those Barres! :lol:

Bm is getting easier. There's a change from D to A to Bm in Proud Mary, and it's getting easier. Barres should be seen as a challenge, not a discouragement.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I kind of view the whole thing as playing time, not practice time.

It's all headgames, isn't it? If you do something fun, you'll do it more. It's like exercising. People say they hate to exercise. Well, find something you like to do and do it. Think of it as play time. Headgames.

ReplyQuote