Notifications
Clear all

$$ Entry-level

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@orangeleg)
Topic starter  

How much should i spend on an entry-level guitar thats decent?

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Hello! Electric or acoustic?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Hi. How much you got?

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Welcome to the board!

$USD? Electirc you'll need an amp and patch chord also. If you go used you could get a Squier, Jay Turser, Rondo, Epiphone or others, and a decent amp could very well be in the $300 range.

If you want an acousitc, Washburn, Seagull, Fender, could all be had, if used for a few hundred bucks. $150-250 say.

Of course it all depends on what your looking for.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@orangeleg)
Topic starter  

Acoustic. And ive got $500 tops. What are the brands to look out for? cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@orangeleg)
Topic starter  

Sorry i should specify. I actually hail from the UK and decent entry level acoustics cost around £200 - £270 here, which equates to about $400 or so. Im not an absolute beginner and my first guitar was a £45 jobbie from ebay and now im looking to step-up. And i could get a gargain from the US (maybe, if prices aren't relative). Btw is fatdawg.com any good?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Some good relativly inexpensive acoustics are

1) Seagull S6
2) Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry
3) Washburn D10
4) Epiphone Hummingbird

There are many others obvisiouly, but these are ones that I've personally have tried, and liked.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

And i could get a gargain from the US (maybe, if prices aren't relative). Btw is fatdawg.com any good?

There are bargains to be had in the USA, but international shipping tends to absorb any potential savings.

I don't know anything about fatdawg.com, but they seem to have a fun attitude.
Check out the description of the pickguard on the "Pro I" guitar :lol:

There are quite a number of UK residents hanging around here, they'll be able to help you best with "where to get the best deals locally".

...And, welcome to GuitarNoise!

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jocko)
Trusted Member

Give http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk a look. I have bought quite a few bits and pieces from them and have always had first class service. They have a Yamaha F310 for £79 and the choice rises from there. The shop is in Glasgow (Merchant City Music)

45 years playing and still rubbish.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

$500 eh?...The first acoustic that comes to mind is the Epiphone AJ-100. It was like $400 online last time I checked. The Epi Hummingbirds are also cheapish online.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@orangeleg)
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for the advice guys, it's greatly appreciated. Just lastly would any of you consider buying second-hand on the internet? Without knowing what exactly what it sounds, looks, condition but you could score a great bargain as long as you look towards the reputable brands?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Buying guitars online is very popular, but people tend to be divided on the subject. I've boughten lots of things onlines, a used V-Amp, bulk packages of new strings, patch chords, I am going to be getting a mixer and mics soon, but a guitar is different.

Each guitar is different, even the same make and models. They all have differences amongst them. If you buy online, used or new, there is a chance that you might get a dud. It might work fine also, but who knows.

It is a gamble, some people love it, others don't.

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

Go and try some... see what you feel comfortable with, and what you like the sound of, and which plays nice.
Thats the only way you will find what you want...

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Not wishing to undermine other peoples recommendations, but I've found epiphones to be very poorly made, though I've had no experience of their acoustics. I would strongly recommend Ibanez. What they may lack in character is more than made up for in quality; they're built like tanks and you get a lot for your money. Look at the PF60; solid wood top, mahogany top back and sides for around £120 I think. Try http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com , which is a local guitar shop for me, but do good deals. Also look at Yamahas, and definately Seagull if you can afford it.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I picked this up last year for about £200 -

very nice guitar, comes with pre-amp - which you need a battery for....nice smooth action, looked well put together...if there's a Dawson's near you, check it out - that's where I got mine from.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote