Clear all

Excess String Noise

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What is the best way to mute unwanted string noise? For example, when switching from an open E chord to an open D chord, the low E (6th) and A (5th) strings continue to ring, though they're not supposed to be part of an open D chord. I suppose I could do a "palm mute" before switching from the E to the D chords, but that seems to throw the timing of the chord change off. Any advice? Thanks.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

to be honest, Ive never found that to be a major problem.
to me , it speaks to te naturalness of the instrument.
the segue or transition between the chords feel right and seamless.

if you dont want the strings to vibrate longer then you DO have to mute them. my thumb over the top can reach the low E. the A could be muted with your palm; you have to work out the timing then.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I use my thumb for both. Takes a little practice to mute the A string with fretting the E when you're playing a D chord, but it'll be second nature soon. If you want to do it that way, I'd recommend you add it in after the chord is cleanly fretted. Let them ring out for however many strums it takes so that you're not sacrificing clean fretting for the muting, if you see what I mean. Then it's just practice to reduce the time it takes between fretting the chord and muting the unwanted strings.

Also, I found learning to mess around with alternating bassnotes helped me to start the chord from the right string, even when strumming. Ideally you want to avoid hitting the E and A strings on a D chord as well as muting them.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote