Clear all

F and D Chords.

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am having trouble making the F chord ring clearly (I gather everybody has this problem) Does anyone have any tips? I'm having the same problem with the D chord, the bottom string rings clearly sometimes and not others.

Thanks.

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The D string when you're fingering a D chord is probably your first finger on the G string touching the D string - that'll come with practice.

There's two ways to finger the F chord (or rather, two common ways). You might have better luck with the other...

--1-- Index Finger barre
--1-- Index finger barre
--2-- Middle finger
--3-- Pinky finger
--3-- Ring finger
--1-- Index finger barre

or

--1-- Index Finger barre
--1-- Index finger barre
--2-- Middle finger
--3-- Pinky finger
--3-- Ring finger
--1-- Thumb

Many people find the second easier because you only need to barre two strings with the index finger and the thumb takes care of the 6th string. Personally, I hate this fingering with a passion as it's a real pain for me to swap between this and other barre shapes, but I know plenty of people who have no trouble with it.

*edit: took some piccies, 'cause I'm not happy with the wording and can't explain it any better :) *

First version:

Second version:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

On that D, arch your fingers enough that only the finger tips are playing the strings.

You can also play a partial barre on the F using only the first four strings:

1 (index)
1 (index)
2 (middle finger)
3 (ring finger)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Good illustrations Chords n Scales.I suspect you have your Les Paul in your hand in those pics :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@velsing)
Trusted Member

Just in case you're becoming disillusioned, don't worry. I'm having the same problem with the F chord :)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Rahul: I wish! It's my acoustic, but that's one of the reasons I love it - it has the most electric-like neck I've ever played :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm one of the lucky few I guess. Barring the F chord at the first fret has never been a problem for me. I wasn't even aware the problem existed until reading these forums.

Take any barre chord anywhere on the fret board that sounds good to you when you strum it. Without changing any of your fingers positions, slide your hand all the way to the first fret. That would be your F barre chord. Going between a barred G chord and sliding down to the F barre chord and back up is probably the easiest and doesn't sound too bad either.

Good luck with the F barre chord.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The F chord can be played as

X
X
X

You mute the high e with the index finger, that is fretting the B string

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member

I can sometimes get the F bar to ring clearly, but the problem I have is switching from one chord to the F-bar..it's hard to get my fingers there right away in time to play it...

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

If your struggling with the F and want to move on to something else then go with Greybeards suggestion or go with chordsandscales version two and dont worry about the high E string just consentrate on hitting the B string note clearly.The correct way will come with time.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Also try playing the partial barre I listed up above at the fifth fret from time to time during practice or warm-up:

You'll find it easier to barre there (and you'll be play an A chord instead of an F). That might help you develop the dexerity and strength to play that shape at the nut for the F chord.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You may also check action at the first fret.Sometimes, if the nut is not cut correctly (and the strings are unusually high at the first fret ), then even with the best technique, barring can be painful.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the information guys. ;]
I think another problem with me playing the F chord is that I broke my little finger about 5 years ago, so it bends out. So when I try to do the chord because my little fingers bent it goes over to the 4th finger which therefore mutes everything. I'm sure if I keep playing the chord, even if the strings are dead it will eventually ring out nice and clear. I just have to keep thinking to myself, patience.. Hehe.

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

ReplyQuote