F major chord help

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vanhalenwannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Damn you F major!

I just can't get the pad of my index finger to fret both the B and E strings at the same time. Seems like the E string is giving me the most trouble, as I just can't get it to ring true and it just plays flat because I'm not able to get both strings fretted at the same time.

If I work my finger pad down harder to cover the E it is either pulling the top of the pad off the B or pulling my second and third fingers off the other strings.

Please help this noob! :oops:

(@imalone)
Reputable Member

This is the mini-barre (hmmm, mini bar...) F chord? The one that goes: x 3 3 2 1 1 ? There's no magic answer, your fingers will learn the right position given time, but a few things you can try to encourage them:
1. Try just your index finger on B & e. Once you have that clean then add the middle finger on G. Once you've got that then D, etc.
2. Like full barres it'll probably be easier further down the neck, due to less force required and less stretch (as the frets get closer), so try one fret up for F#.
If I work my finger pad down harder to cover the E
N.B. it's not about force, more about the right place and direction. Because you're stretching across three frets your fingers wont be in the ideal position for all strings, but normally you want to be just behind the fret. Trying it I find this shape is easiest in classical position, thumb right in the middle of the back of the neck pointing towards the headstock. You'll probably find your fingers naturally curl down the fretboard a little in the opposite direction to your thumb, fret the B & e with your index finger at that angle and it might make the stretch to the next strings a bit easier.

ReplyQuote
(@vanhalenwannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the clarification on which F chord I'm playing, as I wan't sure! I'm trying your tips and they help a lot, but ultimately, I just need to be realistic and realize that it takes time for everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@martmiguel)
Eminent Member

Hi, try something like the grip master or the varigrip, these will help you gain strength in your hand, so the barre chords will become easy in time. I´ve noticed that most of the time these problems can be solved with this 2 items.

Director of:
Cursos de guitarra eléctrica y acústica
ClasesdeguitarraYoutube

ReplyQuote