Notifications
Clear all

Fake Books ?

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I<...>However as a beginner, well the chords of songs you want, if they are in a fake book well some free site already has a lyric/chord or tabs of the song. The advantage of the fakebook then becomes the lead line, the standard notation of the melody and unique instrumental breaks.

Also, by buying the fake book the songwriters make a few pennies.

Do unto others. You like to get paid for your work, so do they.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Notes, I always wondered how that worked with these books. Say it's a easy/fake book, an artist has one song in it out of 200 songs and it's a $30 book. Sellers, Distributors and Publishers all get their cut, assuming some sort of not-for-profit business. :) What's the song writer get? Something like 1/200th of $10-$20 or something?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

If they were lucky

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

They'll make it up in volume. :mrgreen: If even 5,000 books are sold (is that a reasonable number? I have no idea), that's $500, assuming .10/copy for discussion's sake. That's not bad considering the songwriter may have written the song 40 years ago.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't think it's anywhere near $.10/copy probably more like $.0001/copy.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Notes, I always wondered how that worked with these books. Say it's a easy/fake book, an artist has one song in it out of 200 songs and it's a $30 book. Sellers, Distributors and Publishers all get their cut, assuming some sort of not-for-profit business. :) What's the song writer get? Something like 1/200th of $10-$20 or something?

I don't know the exact figure, but I know that anything written after 1922 is copyrighted and used with permission.

It depends on the song:

• If any of the songs were written before 1922 the copyright has expired and they are free (public domain).

• Some of the songs in the Fake Books go for dirt cheap because nobody wants them, and the songwriter is happy to get a fraction of a cent per song.

• Other songs are so popular that the publisher need them to make the book credible, so they get much more money.

• Everything else falls in between.
  • It's negotiable, the songwriters and publishers agreed to the term, so they think they are getting a fair shake, (or at least a "good enough" deal). I don't know the exact figures because unfortunately, I'm not a good enough songwriter to have my songs published in a fake book. :-(

But like records, even if they get a couple of pennies per book, by the time the book sells a few hundred thousand copies, the songwriter makes a buck.

If it is available and if I cannot learn the song by ear, I always buy the music. -- It's a do unto others thing with me. -- I want to get paid for my work so I'm sure others would like the same thing.

In fact, I have a closet full of music books, top to bottom - plus - a filing cabinet full of sheets. I've been playing music a long time and buying new music is part of my G.A.S.

I also play in a lot of places that pay blanket ASCAP dues. I see the decal on the office door, and even if I don't, I know the ASCAP rep makes his/her rounds of those venues.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
    (@minotaur)
    Noble Member

I don't think it's anywhere near $.10/copy probably more like $.0001/copy.

I'm ever the optimist. But when all is said and done, when everyone gets their dirty little fingers in the pie, you're probably right.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
    Page 2 / 2