Clear all

Feedback on my most recent purchase

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So of course I went into Guitar Center to just "browse" and a couple hours later I'm leaving with a guitar. Go figure.

I should back up a bit. I was looking to get a 60's style guitar, either an Eastwood Airline (like Jack White) or a Dipinto Mach IV. However, my local guitar place doesnt carry either of these brands, and unless I was willing to make a road trip, it looked like if that's what I wanted, it would have to be purchased online, something I would rather not do. However, I am found of the Les Paul style as well so I figured I'd take a looksie.

I went in, tried a few out on my own, didn't find anything I liked. Then I got one of the salespeople, explained what I was looking for (the above in the 7-800 dollar range) and he showed me a few things. A few epiphones, eh, some atrocious looking les pauls and then he finally showed me something they had just got in, a 1983 les paul studio. Hmmm.

I tried it out and it was amazing, the fretboard was smooth and broken in, the strings were easy to bend and there didn't seem to be any rattling of the strings. It was tagged at 799 but he said he would give it to me for 750 with a free ten-year warrenty, 30 day money back guarentee, AND to sweeten the deal, said if I could find an 83 studio anywhere else for less than 750, he'd pay me the difference times 30%. I was sold.

The guitar isnt without it's imperfections though, it has some dings on the body and headstock and some light scratches from picking, the knob top on the pickup switch is missing, but it is used after all. I changed the strings without giving any thought to the height of the stop bar and screwed it flush against the body (like my Epi). That was a mistake. I spent the whole next day fiddling with the tailpiece trying to get it at the right height. Finally the 6th and 1st strings are 2mm and 1.5mm above the 12th fret respectively and the only string that DOES rattle/buzz is the 6th one, the rest ring beutifully and the 6th only rattles when I strike it really hard, and only if it's an open note (when I play a chord it's not too noticable and with distortion through the amp, you can't tell at all. The person who had it before me put on grover tuners, which rule, and some translucent speed knobs, which I first thought about changing, but they're starting to grow on me.

Despite how happy I am with the purchase, I can't help but feel that "buyer's regret," thinking maybe I should have waited, got something else, etc etc.

Anyway, below are some pics of my new baby. Any comments are appreciated, sorta. Baically I'm looking for comfort after that massive blow to my checkbook. :lol:

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

les paul studio is a fine guitar.
studio because it doesnt have stage decorations.
otherwise pretty much the same guitar as seen on stage.

black les pauls are awesome. period.

since it is an 83 I would expect lots of wear dings etc.
it is twenty six years old. how many twenty six year olds you know that dont have any damage :wink:

as for what you paid. I think that was fair. all the other crap they told you was salemanship.
the garantee is good. did they set it up for you. if not they should and offer a one year reset. that is standard in the used and new guitar deals.
a ten year warranty? for a used guitar/ that sounds strange. but to your advantage should you come up with something nine and a half years from now.

to replace that switch tip go to
http://www.stewmac.com

they should have it.

enjoy your ax.
lose the buyer remorse cause it will always bother a buyer who thinks they dont deserve good stuff.

now repeat after me "I deserve some good stuff'.

8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

warranties in general have always turned out to be crock for me at least so if this isn't the real deal, then i wouldn't be surprised, but hey at least I didn't pay for it B)

they didn't set it up for me, but some of the guy's in there are good, others are sketchy, you don't know what their qualifications are etc. so I don't even know if I would want one of them setting it up anyway (plus it was 45 mins past closing time so...) I'm trying to find a good guitar repair shop locally at the mo

I agree, the black/white pickguard is an awesome look, can't go wrong with that combo on a les paul, and as for what I paid, I've yet to find anything under $800 so I suppose that's good

I do realize most of that stuff was salesmanship but hey, I'm a sucker for discounts, I never pay full price anymore...that's what commission does to a sales clerk I guess :P

Now, back to practicing:

"I deserve some good stuff...I deserve some good stuff...I deserve some good stuff..."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Nice looking stuff, I recently picked up an RP80 (cost me $40 after trading some pedals), it's really neat and has some good clean, dirty and acoustic sounds the only letback is that the expression pedal is very small, so it's tough to use, but if you own a wah-wah like myself and don't plan on using it too much it's really nothing. As well, I've found that it doesn't have the best sustain, but it really is a great pedal.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

[quote="RedRainRipper"

"I deserve some good stuff...I deserve some good stuff...I deserve some good stuff..."

excellent :D 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

congratulations and just remember you bought the best! so forget that buyers remorse.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Very nice buy, what type of pickups are in an 83 Studio?

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm not too sure...since I'm not experienced with guitar tinkering, i don't want to disassemble it in anyway to find (unless there's some other way of telling).

Since the machine heads and volume/tone knobs were both replacements, it wouldn't surprise me if the humbuckers are mods as well, although they do show alot of signs of wear

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The purchase of a new guitar should NEVER be a regret. Unless you are using vacationmoney. LOL Sorry bad inside GN joke.

Sounds like you enjoy it, got a good deal on it. I dont believe in the warranty to much but sounds like you dont either. I have a rule that as long as I can pay my bills and buy food for my table then I'm not gonna regret a music purchase.

Enjoy your new friend.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote