Clear all

Feedback Question

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I have my Epiphone Valve Jr. on the floor in front of my desk, on the right side. I play at the desk.

Is feedback just a fact of life? Certain bass notes start looping and getting louder and louder... Is it just a matter of getting further away from the amp (or keeping the volume down)? The cab has an open back on it.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lots of factors cause feedback. Room dimensions and materials make a big difference. If you can, hang carpets or put foam or egg cartons on the walls and ceilings to soundproof the room. Even the position of the amp, or the direction it is facing can make a big difference. You just need to experiment.

But usually, when you really crank a tube amp especially, if you are within 10 feet or so, you are gonna get feedback. I myself love feedback. Some players like Ted Nugent would purposely induce feedback. Before a show he would experiment by walking around on stage to find out where particular notes would feedback. Then he would mark the stage with tape, then walk to this position to feedback a particular note in a solo.

If all else fails, turn your amp down. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote