Fender DG-8S Acoustic Guitar Value Pack question

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys and gals,

I'm going to purchase this for my brother for Christmas, its a Fender dreadnought starter guitar if you will. The only concern I have is he's left handed and the guitar is setup for right-handed players. Does anyone know what needs to be done to make the switch and if I could easily do it?

Thanks,

Lunarist

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Not that hard to do, but will cost money. Probably not cost effective on a beginner guitar. Basically, the change needed is the nut needs to be replaced, since the grooves for the strings will be upside down for a lefty. This is best left to a luthier unless you know something about guitar maintenance. Probably will cost at least $30-40 to get done. So, as I said, might not be worthwhile if the guitar only costs $150. Not being a lefty, I don't know what beginner acoustic guitars are out there. Search around and you may find a beginner guitar that is already set up for a lefty.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Here's one for $199:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-PF5L-LeftHanded-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519623

I think you are looking at this for your brother:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-DG8S-Acoustic-Guitar-Value-Pack?sku=510705

Same price, but the Ibanez is already a lefty. Although the Fender comes with a bag and some extras, get him a lefty-made guitar - much easier!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

MF has a fender lefty at that price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=512755

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

This is just personal opinion, and being a hard core Telecaster player I have no axes to grind with Fender(Pun intended). That being said, I would steer clear of fender acoustics. The sound is mediocre at best, the quality control is inconsistent, and for $200 you can do a heck of a lot better. Ibanez, Samick Greg Bennett series, Alvarez, Takamine and Yamaha all make much better acoustics than Fender.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Good find Lefty! Looks like either the Fender or Ibanez lefty is the way to go for Lunarist.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

That being said, I would steer clear of fender acoustics. The sound is mediocre at best, the quality control is inconsistent, and for $200 you can do a heck of a lot better.
I must've just been very lucky with mine. Perhaps it was missed during quality control. ;)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

heed what the telemaestro says, Fender acoustics deserved a bad rap for poor quality control.
i would steer clear of any models over a few years old because i have heard that from several people i trust over the years.

i think they have turned things around tho because most of the ones i've looked at over the last year and a half have been passable to pretty nice on avg.
i was in the market for a lower end acoustic a while back and found a few that were really nice, but unfortunatly they sold out before i could get the money together.
I believe Nick used to suggest the model i was after to his students and owned one as well. sorry i can't remember the model

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks fellas. I will probably go the route of the $200 lefty guitar and buy him the bag, tuner, strap and strings separately.

Lunarist

ReplyQuote