Clear all

figuring out the count

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

just a little confused trying to figure out the count. The first bar, does the 1/8th rest start as 1 so it would be.

(1) + 2+ 3+ + following into the second bar, which I see as: (1) 2. (3 4) and the 3rd bar: (1) + 2 +3 4+

I put the rests in ()

don't know if any of this is correct. Starting a bar with an 1/8th note, placing the 1/4 notes on the off beat has me a little confused. Any help explaining this would be greatly appreciated :D

Anger and sadness are easy....Happiness and passion takes effort

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

You have it correct. The first bar starts with the 1/8 rest as beat 1.

As you said, the 1/4 note land on the "and" of "3 and..." - this is not too unusual, although I can understand why it has confused you.

The 1/4 note lasts for the bolded bit of this count: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and

If you are having difficulty playing the rhythm, put your instrument down, and tap the count (1+2+3+4+) over and over at a slow speed. Then, sing the passage. Obviously if you can hit the specific pitches this is better, but try not to worry about doing this, you want to focus on the rhythm here. Once you are comfortable doing that, play it on your guitar (just use one note if you still have problems - e.g. use your G string fretted at the 1st fret). This will get your picking hand used to playing the rhythm. Then incorporated the different pitches given in the music.

If you are unfamiliar with a piece of music (or with sight reading in general), trying to read the pitches and the rhythms at the same time can be difficult. But with practice, you will get better.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I think that's notation for the vocal/melody.
The first bar shown here is the start of the melody several bars into the song, after the guitar, bass and drums intro. It seems odd on its own because it works in counterpoint (correct term?) to the other elements. The drums hit the 1 in the first measure shown here.
Are you looking to play the vocal line on guitar?
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

actually, it's a lesson from hal leonard guitar method book 2. Thanks for the help though. The explanation helped bunches. Up to this point, the lessons have always started with 1/4 notes, so starting with an 1/8th got me off kilter a little. Now it's just a matter of practice 8)

Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

There are all sorts of ways of using an emphasis in different and sometimes unexpected ways to get a certain feel or beat to the music. It's also pretty common to start with a rest. You might see terms such as 'pickup', 'pickup note', 'pickup measure' or even 'anacrusis'.

A short explanation with some examples

ReplyQuote
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, kinda funny. One of those DoH! moments. So simple, I just don't why I didn't think of it before. I just write the count out on the sheet music. After doing that for a few bars, every thing made much more sense. :D Thanks again people

ReplyQuote