Clear all

Finally....progress!

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar a total of maybe 9 months. Its kind of hard to judge as I've been off and on the past year as we've been living with the inlaws while building a house.

I've been learning from 3 main sources. Berklee guitar method 1. Emedia Guitar and a Peter Vogl Acoustic Rock guitar with the latter just this past week. Now, up to this point I've not learned tab on any favorite songs, I've just been going through these resources.

Well, my wife was up here in the bonus room surfing the internet and I was listening to music playing some scales and I said, "Hey honey, name that tune! It was Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight (albeit my version is not so wonderful). She recognized it "enough" to know the song. Ok this is cool! :)

So a little bit later I was thumbing through Itunes and started listening to some old favorites, Silver Chair -Tomorrow, Social Distortion - Ring of Fire, Sick Boy and Story of My Life. As I'm listening I start playing power chords along with the songs as the "powerchord sound" sounds familar to my ears! After going through the song once, by the second time around I've figured out the chords and I'm strumming along, albeit on an acoustic!
It was so awesome!

Man, I've been practicing berklee's book which is great but it's not the music I would like to sit around and jam to. However, the Berklee Method along with the other resources are really starting to click and sink in. This was the first time I just sat down and tried to play along with some favorites that included Whale and Wasp by Alice in Chains...:D :D

All that said, I still am nowhere near the real musicians but I felt like a made a quantum leap tonight and if my fingers weren't at the point of bleeding I'd still be playing. In fact it hurts just typing this!

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Great job! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Ricola, fun isn't it?! :D

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Congratulations! Feels good, huh? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

All of us that play have been there and oh how sweet it is! Congratulations! Believe it or not there will be more of those moments, like walls you crash through. With guitar, it is like math, everything builds on what you already know. Things will come faster and easier as you learn. It sounds to me like you just started down the first hill on your guitar playing rollercoaster.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

That's cool.

It's the moments like this that makes learning the guitar so rewarding.

Hope the next breakthrough comes quickly for you.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

youve been playing about the same time as me. Thats great to feel like your progressing, my wife never recognises anything I play, I have to tell her and then she usually says"no its much faster than that".

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...she usually says"no its much faster than that".
Bahaha! Man I've been there. In fact it was Run Around by the Blues Travalers. She insisted that was not what I was playing! :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

congrads. the needle made it in deep finally. you are now perfectly hooked on guitar.
nice isnt it. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@barryo)
Eminent Member

Congrats on your milestone.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. It wa a big moment and I just wanted to share with everyone. Hopefully will help keep someone motivated enough to make it to this point themselves...

Can't wait to get off work and get on the guitar!!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Your ears must have gotten pretty good, too!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Your ears must have gotten pretty good, too!

All the years in middle school through high school paid off. I learned a lot back then, such as, ear training and reading music notation. I was even learning jazz improv before I finally quit. (Yes I was dumb). Back then it was the saxophone. Now it's guitar. I'm still better playing the sax than the guitar but I'm trying to change that. :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats on that Ricola. Always stay focused on those type of moments. It just gets better and better. There is no end to what you can accomplish in time and practice.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote