Clear all

Finding a Guitar Teacher

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok my friends... banging away on the guitar, or playing the same 6 chords, or re-building the guitar is not quite making me anything more than a guitar hobbyist. I need to get back with an instructor.

My first experience was so-so. The instructor basically set me up like a 10-year-old, leaning the old chruch songs, how to read music, etc... I was anxious to lean how to play songs, not theory. So I quit.

Ok, maybe he and I were not a good fit. So now I'm looking for a new instructor. Any suggestionsa on how to find one in my area?

Wes Inman - want to teach? You're in Connecticut, right? Ha... ok, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@davidhodge)

Wes is, I believe, in Torrington and I'm just off the CT border myself. Two tried and true ways of finding one are (1) the music store bulletin board and (2) the Yellow pages. There are also online directories, such as MusicStaff.com, but the teachers have to be signed up already in order to show up on the directory and some are and some aren't.

Where exactly in Connecticut are you? One would think that many of the folks associated with the Guitar Workshop Camps would be in the general area.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm in Colchester and work in Hartford.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I agree with the above. Your local music store is a gold mine of information. I got a list of teachers from two of my local music shops. Don't just look at the bulletin boards though - ask the staff. It was one of their recommendations that I went with in the end.

It's not just a matter of finding a teacher, but finding the right teacher for you.

Don't just go with the first one you find. Talk to the them before you part with any money and discuss with them what you want out of the learning experience. It's your money after all. And you are more likely to learn if it is enjoyable to you.

When I got in touch with my current teacher he invited me to his studio for an hours "consultation". It was basically a chat about what I wanted from lessons and how he teaches. He tries to tailor lessons to suit the individual. All this was at no charge and he did not ask me to make a decision there and then so I didn't feel pressured. He told me to phone him the following week if I wanted to sign up. I did and haven't looked back. I'm getting a nice balance of songs I want to learn and theory/technique. (You can run but you can't hide from theory. :wink: )

Good luck with your search and I hope you find someone suitable soon.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Right - I know you can't get away from theory altogether, but after mastering "Good King Wecelas" I was ready to move on ... but ended up working on Yankee Doodle Dandy instead.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I see why you quit. :lol:

It definitely pays to shop around. I guess I fell lucky with my teacher.

Hope you have more luck this time round.

Love your avatar by the way. Rather partial to a drop of the black stuff myself. :)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm going to agree with David, check bulletin boards, and yellow pages. Your bound to find something.

Word of mouth works to. Ask around at the guitar shops, shows, and to friends. See who teaches who and work from there.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

craigslist, if there's one there...

ReplyQuote
(@b0ttleneck)

I'm on my 5th teacher, and it will be my last. It's pretty much just trial an error. Like you I didnt want to be taught like I was a 10 year old. I finally found a teacher that is teaching me the songs I want to learn and I'm learning a bit of theory in the process, but its not a requirement during the lessons. Just keep looking and eventually you will find the right one.

Chris

ReplyQuote