Finger exercise question

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently learned a finger exercise:

pinky 1st fret 1st string, ring finger 2nd fret 2nd string, middle finger 3rd fret 3rd string, index finger 4th fret 4th string...
pinky 2nd fret 2nd string, ring finger 3rd fret 3rd string, middle finger 4th fret 4th string, index finger 5th fret 5th string...
pinky 3rd fret 3rd string...

then:
pinky 6th fret 1st string, ring finger 5th fret 2nd string, middle finger 4th fret 3rd string, index finger 3rd fret 4th string...
back up...

But I can't remember if the goal is to put all the fingers down at the same time or to walk them.

Anyone know if there is a proper way to do this exercise? (Either way it's a challenge.)

Thanks.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I recently learned a finger exercise:

pinky 1st fret 1st string, ring finger 2nd fret 2nd string, middle finger 3rd fret 3rd string, index finger 4th fret 4th string...
pinky 2nd fret 2nd string, ring finger 3rd fret 3rd string, middle finger 4th fret 4th string, index finger 5th fret 5th string...
pinky 3rd fret 3rd string...

Are you sure you've got that right?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That sure is one hell of a practice session... :D

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No, of course, I've got it backwards. (I was looking at my right hand while working out the fingering while typing. :( ) But you get the point. All down at once or walking? :)

So it starts:
index finger 1st fret 1st string, middle finger 2nd fret 2nd string, ring finger 3rd fret 3rd string, pinky 4th fret 4th string...

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

Walking.

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I'd agree it is probably meant as a walking exercise however I personally go by a very simply rule.. if it's difficult both ways then practice it both ways no matter what the original intention, you can only possibly benefit. Besides, putting all down at the same time you will also be practicing one fingering for a Maj7 chord. Also do it in reverse.. pinkie 4th fret, ring 3rd etc.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Keep your fingers down. This is to practice your stretch, not to teach you how to move your hand around. :D
So start with the index, keep it down and add the middle finger. Keep both down and add the ring finger etc.

And yeah, that is tough initially. You can move it up to higher parts of the neck in the beginning and slowly move it down later.

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all. Walk it it is.

ReplyQuote