Clear all

Finger picking questions

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I have two or three questions about finger picking. First about nails, I have noticed that when I hit a string on my nylon acoustic guitar with the finger nail, I get a totally different sound than if I just hit it with the skin part of the finger tip. Is it supposed to be like that? Should I avoid getting the nail on the string so that all plucks on the strings sound consistent?

Also I have a really good book that includes finger picking patterns for songs, like this:

E---r---r-----------
B---m---m-----------
G--i-i-i-i----------
D-----p-------------
A-p-----------------
E-------------------

If the formatting comes out right, the above should show a pattern in which you pluck A, then G, then high E and B, then D, then G, then high E and B, then G. Basically, the base string should alternate. But how do I know which base strings to alternate between? For a D chord, the above sounds ok. But for example, for an Em, alternating between the A and D strings doesn't sound right of course.

And what is the proper way to pluck multiple strings simultaneously? What I do when E and B should be played simultaneously is that I put my ring and middle fingers on the strings and "snap them upwards." Is that the correct way to do it?

(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Q: Should I avoid getting the nail on the string so that all plucks on the strings sound consistent?

A: If you want the sound, you do whatever you have to. Fingertips are what should be used really, for accuracy.

Q: How do I know which base strings to alternate between? For a D chord, the above sounds ok. But for example, for an Em, alternating between the A and D strings doesn't sound right of course.

A: It totally depends on the song, or sometimes on your preference. Em sounds good bouncing from the low E string to the A and back.

Q: And what is the proper way to pluck multiple strings simultaneously? What I do when E and B should be played simultaneously is that I put my ring and middle fingers on the strings and "snap them upwards."

A: I do the same, its difficult getting the correct volume, but I dont know how else you'd do it. Try doing 3 notes, one with the thumb and two more with the first and second fingers. I'm convinced theres only one way to do this, position wise, so it might shed some light on the other technique.

ReplyQuote