Clear all

Finger Question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I am trying to learn the song Hold on Loosely, by .38 Special, and I was wondering how you guys play it. I got a Guitar Pro tab, and the first part is like this:

E||------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
B||------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
G||------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
D||---------------------9--|--L-----------9-------9--|--L-----------9-------7--|
A||---------------/9-7--7--|--L-----------7--7----6--|--L-----------6--6----5--|
E||---------------/7-5-----|-------------------------|-------------------------|

E H E S. T E E H S S E E Q. Q E E E
-------------------------|--------------------------|------------------------|
--L-----------7-------7--|--L-------------------9--|--L-----------9-----9--|
--L-----------5--5----4--|--L-------------/9-7--7--|--L-----------7--7--6--|
-------------------------|----------------/7-5------|------------------------|

I have been playing it with my 2nd and 4th fingers (like a normal 2 string power chord), but I have trouble stretching when you move down a fret on the 5th string. What happens is I occasionally either slip off the 4th string, or end up muting the 4th string trying to stretch. Would it be better to completely rearange my hand to use my pinky? I thought about that, but it seems rather inefficient because it is a pretty quick change.

Just looking for a few pointers. Thanks!!

Oh yea, while I am at it, does anyone have a site that explains string sliding well? I cant seem to get that initial slide to sound smooth. Thanks again! :D

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Falcon -

Since you picked one of my all time favorite songs to play, I will try to help you out! :shock:

1. I don't know why you say power chords are normally played with your second & fourth fingers - they are normally played with your first & third fingers.
2. When you go for that stretch, I normal switch to a first & fourth finger, although you could try to stretch - it just isn't comfortable for me that way. Yes, it takes some time to get your fingers to make the changes, but with a little practice it will come up to speed.
3. The tab is a little off. Would you mind sending me the whole tab, so I can point out where the errors are?

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry - first and third fingers for the power chords is what I meant. I will work on getting my pinky to get where I want it quicker I guess. I will send you the guitar pro file that I have, will that work, or do you want it in a text format? Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Isn't Guitar Pro just the BOMB?
Do you have the Full Library too? There's so many songs out there.

Anyhoo with this song and others like it, that stretch part isn't so UNCOMMON as you'd think.

When I was able to get that Stretch in there.... I realized that my finger drill/exercises were finally paying off.
I like to shuffle the blues with a E-A-B but mix it up with E5-E6-E7...and likewise with the IV V Chords.. Well it takes a little stretch to get it in there.

I used to not be able to make it.... then I a few weeks later I realized I could make those and I still, as part of my warm up excersises did those boring finger drills.. but I started lower and lower (toward the nut) on the neck.

Keep practicing and you'll get it.

The song I worked on, Joe Walsh Rocky Mtn Way has a Pinky Stretch in the beginning and once I able to make the pinky stick it was no problem going the other way with stretching the Index finger.

Like this...
PM PM

E||------------------|-----------------------------------|
B||------------------|-----------------------------------|
G||----------9----9--|------------------9--------9----9--|
D||----------9----9--|--------11--------9--------9----9--|
A||-------7--7----7--|---------7--------7--------7----7--|
E||-------0----------|---0-----------0------0------------|

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Falcon -

Text is better for me. Send me a PM.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I've always played the first power chord in this song with my index and pinky finger. Then I just slide my index down one fret for the second power chord.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Dagwood, thats quite a stretch! I will work on it, but for now I am starting to get a hang of getting my pinky from the 4th to the 7th - its not the stretch anymore - its the change from using my ring finger to my pinky :)

Fender, I sent you the song in a PM :)

ReplyQuote