Fingertips and hand strength

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Ope
(@ope)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So, I just changed the strings on my guitar. Each time it gets a little easier and quicker. It's actually pretty fun when I think about it. Anyway, I decided to try medium gauge strings to see what difference it would make. Well, the certainly sound better and I am getting less buzzing than I did with lighter gauge strings.

Had a couple quick questions regarding this type of change in strings.

1. My fingertips feel a little like they did when I first started. I assume this is from the increased tension and is normal, and hopefully my fingers will toughen even further. My calluses seem to plateau using the light gauge strings I was using.

2. Aside from practing more, are there any excercises one can do to stretch and strengthen your fretting hand? Some days, when I start playing, it just gets sore rather quickly.

-Ope

"What kind of music do you usually have here?"
"Oh, we got both kinds. We got country AND western."

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

it's not unusual perhaps for a new player to find his or her fingers a bit sore after changing strings, I suppose. That will disappear after you've played longer.

Here's a link to some warm-up exercises that might help you stretch a bit:

Guitar Warm-Up Exercises.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good for you to go heavier. I have always liked the feel and sound.
it is true the fingers need to adjust. don't worry cause it does not take long.
now your callouses will be monster instead of impish.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

As a buzzkill, I've used heavy strings for almost 6 years and develped tendonitis from exerting too much pressure on the strings. Gone to lighter strings and it makes it much, much easier. And I thought I was doing myself good by using the crazy gauge stings...

Also, hammers and pulls are much easier on light stings as well as playing lead guitar. Tuning, well, a bit more difficult.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

When asked what advice he had for aspiring guitarists, Jimmy Page said to use lighter strings.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote