Clear all

First Chorded Song

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I finally can play a chorded song all the way through, and it only took me 3 months! It was a simple song using chords C G Em D. To make my life easier, I played the song in Open C. It made switching between C and G really easy since all I had to do was lift my fingers for C then plant them back down for G.

Anyway, I can play a song by changing and strumming chords. A simple song, but a song nonetheless.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I finally can play a chorded song all the way through, and it only took me 3 months! It was a simple song using chords C G Em D. To make my life easier, I played the song in Open C. It made switching between C and G really easy since all I had to do was lift my fingers for C then plant them back down for G.

Anyway, I can play a song by changing and strumming chords. A simple song, but a song nonetheless.

Congrats. Nice feeling isn't it. The additional good part is that with those 4 chords you can play a lot of songs with just a little practice.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go! Keep it up, and you'll be playing all you favs in no time. Rock on!

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can play a few of my favourites, just none of them contained full open chords. It turns out I was playing the G chord the hard way since I could've just played it like this:

G 777777

That should make the song really easy now.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I can play a few of my favourites, just none of them contained full open chords. It turns out I was playing the G chord the hard way since I could've just played it like this:

G 777777

That should make the song really easy now.

That's not a G chord.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I could be wrong on this since my theory is weak but, the notes of a G chord are G B D. And the notes on each string are:

E|-7-| B
C|-7-| G
G|-7-| D
C|-7-| G
G|-7-| D
C|-7-| G

So I would assume that since it's made of the notes of a G chord it is a G chord..............or am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I could be wrong on this since my theory is weak but, the notes of a G chord are G B D. And the notes on each string are:

E|-7-| B
C|-7-| G
G|-7-| D
C|-7-| G
G|-7-| D
C|-7-| G

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

E|-7-| B
C|-7-| G
G|-7-| D
C|-7-| G
G|-7-| D
C|-7-| G

So I would assume that since it's made of the notes of a G chord it is a G chord..............or am I missing something?

NOpe you got it. I was thinking you were in standard tuning -- my bad.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi I am only a beginner myself I found D7 sounds alot better then just D and it's really easy to play

hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Hi I am only a beginner myself I found D7 sounds alot better then just D and it's really easy to play

hilch

That's strange. Not that you find it easier to play, that's just a matter of finger alignment, but that you find it sounds better.

The whole umm ..... point of dom7 chords is that they sound tense, rough and dissonant, making you want to change back to the sweet, stable calmness of the tonic.

Most people find dominant 7th chords fairly unpleasant, at least if they're held for long.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What song did you learn?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I learned Blister In The Sun by Violent Femmes. I first heard in on a show I watch. The chords change really fast but Open C tuning made it really easy.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

GJ! :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I learned Blister In The Sun by Violent Femmes. I first heard in on a show I watch. The chords change really fast but Open C tuning made it really easy.

I had to sample it online. Never heard it before. :oops: Catchy tune though. Bet it's fun to play. Congrats agin.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Congrats OWA!

It's fun when you can finally play a whole song all the way through. This is just the tip of the iceberg!

You're doing great!

Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2