Clear all

first day of lessons!!

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@vik_tor115)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I am a new poster on these forums but have been reading the threads for several months now. I just started lessons last Wednesday with a private instructor(I am a beginner, but can count rhthym) and would like some feedback on my plan for learning guitar.

First of all, I pay $60/hr and am planning on getting lessons biweekly(so about $120/mo). I know it's somewhat expensive but everyone here around the Berkeley, CA area is the same price just about. I just singled out this instructor out because he actually teaches guitar at the university.
So for my first lesson, he taught me proper form on the guitar as to reduce the amount of strain on my shoulders and wrists. And for the bulk of the lesson, he taught me the first 3 notes on the first 3 strings. When I see him in two weeks, I should be able to pick the notes on the first 3 strings in good rhthym in a song like Jingle Bells. Basically, his plan for me in the long run is to teach me to fingerpick and read music first, then go on to strumming chords and such. I have been able to practice everyday for atleast 30-60min so I can already feel myself getting better.

Any thoughts, comments, or advice?

Thanks,
vik_tor115

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

With the info you have provided, it seems you are on the right track.
A competent teacher is mandatory if you plan to make the best guitarist out of yourself. The only advise I will give is to have patience.
You will come across many instances where you will feel as if you can't do anything correctly. That is when you need to stop, take a minute, clear your head, re-focus and get back to work.

All the best.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Sounds like a good plan with a plan for your foundation work. Sounds like you have a good teacher, be sure to communicate with him/her and let them know when you are having problems and things you want to cover. Enjoy!

John M

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yup, sounds like hes putting you on the right track.

Am I the only one whose teacher didn't start with finger picking the chords?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Nope. I have never done finger picking. I am actually trying to learn this now. Figure it is one more thing to get tone and sound to be differnet. I will also admit I do want to learn some Jazz like Peter White and Craig Chaquico.

John M

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Havent done any finger pickin either.. but my teacher has me doing something pretty different each session so it wouldnt suprise me.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

I have two teachers, one while I'm at home, and one while I'm at university a few hours away.

The one started me with chords, the other started with note reading and picking. It actually has worked out really well to have two different style of teachers, I think I learn even more. Two ways of describing things, two styles of music.

I remember the one big issue was one encouraged me to anchor while I pick, and the other discouraged it as a bad habit. If you get into it, then you'll eventually have to break it to get really speedy, so don't start. So I learnt to be flexible. Anchor with the pieces from the one guy, don't with the pieces form the other guy.

I know it slows my overall progress, but there's not much I can do about that until they get human cloning going =)

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

whitby ontario canada? I'm from there man. Moved out to toronto two years ago. anyways. my teacher started me on fingerpicking and note reading as well. 60/hour seems pricey but hey, if he's good he's good.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@vik_tor115)
Topic starter  

thanks for all the replies guys.

I just had my second lesson last thursday and I think it went pretty well. Whereas last week I learned the first three strings with my middle and index finger, I am now learning the 4th, 5th and 6th strings with my thumb. When I ended the lesson though, I thought he left me with an overwhelming amount to learn for two weeks time. He basically gave me 4 short songs that I could play with only my thumb on the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings. However, after playing for only two hours in the last two days I realized that I would be spinning my wheels after the first week, meaning I would be able to play the 4 songs after one week of practice. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping myself busy for the week before the lesson (mainly fingerpicking techniques or anything in general that would be helpful)?

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

I would sign up at your local CC school where for $40 you can have a Monday and Wednesday class of classical music. It will be with a group of students but the lessons seem to be the same that I took. They teach you notes in the open position and then add the E F G plucking across each of the strings.

You are learning a great way to play and start guitar. Fingerpicking is awesome when you get it down.

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

I had my first lesson today. :D

What this teacher does is have a free 30 minute lesson so you can meet him and decide if you are interested in lessons from him. In our 30 minutes, we talked a little bit about what styles of music I am interested in. He showed me some basics of posture and how to hold the guitar and the pick. We practiced strumming an E Minor chord and he taught me the E Minor Pentatonic scale in first position. He seems like a really nice guy. I signed on to do an hour session with him once a week (Sunday afternoons). He charges $25 dollars for an hour session, and from what I have seen, that seems to be the typical rate in this area (Las Vegas). I saw a couple of teachers with a lower rate and a couple with higher, but most were right at the $25 mark and many of them had the same kind of first lesson is a free 30 minute one deal.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

That's a great price..for my area at least. 18.00 per 1/2 half hour is the norm here.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Second that. I pay $20 per 1/2 hour and that is reasonable here. Going to start to learn fingerstyle my self. Been working my thumb and will start the fingers this week.

John M

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Wow, that IS an amazing price.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

WOW!!! Is it me or have prices gone up?

A little over a year ago I when for a month (spent to much time watching my teacher play) and it was $15 a half hour session.

vegas_jay

Seams like you found a great teacher at a great price. Good luck, bud!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2