Clear all

First Electric

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
(@quimbytrophy)
Topic starter  

Hi all ANY ADVICE? Been playing acoustic on my own for about two years and I'm wanting to get an electric. Have no clue what I'm doing and wondering where to start. Play an ovation custom now. Willing to spend decent money but don't want to overdue it either for my skill level. Any ideas? I like rock and alternative music. Not sure how to start...

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Hi all ANY ADVICE? Been playing acoustic on my own for about two years and I'm wanting to get an electric. Have no clue what I'm doing and wondering where to start. Play an ovation custom now. Willing to spend decent money but don't want to overdue it either for my skill level. Any ideas? I like rock and alternative music. Not sure how to start...

you willnever overdue it for your skill level... just your check book. :)

Whats decent money? 500? a grand? $1500?? everyone has a diferent scale when it comes to money. Im guessing about 500-600 is a decent amount for someone starting, and I would pick a epiphone Les Paul standard or a Fender MIM strat, or tele depending what you like, and what feels better to you.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Consider getting a used electric guitar to begin with . You can get a good playing used model with a few nicks and dings for half the cost of a new one . If you have a friend who is a more experienced player , have your friend help you make the decision . If you ever get to the point where you feel the need for something more , it can serve as a backup . Good luck !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'd get something i really, really liked, but i'd look for one that's used and a good price, so you can always sell it later if it's not a keeper, possibly at a profit.

ReplyQuote
(@guitaringenuity)
Eminent Member

Diceman is spot on in my opinion. Before you invest a lot of money, get yourself a used electric guitar - or even better, borrow an instrument from a friend or rent it from a store. Spend a few Saturday afternoons in the music stores, hang out there and get a bunch of different guitars in your hands. They all feel and sound different - so before I'd plunk down a lot of dough, I would want to make sure that I have a general idea of what I want. I personally love Gibson SGs, because of their neck and general playabilty. And for the exact same reasons - but because of personal preferences - other will say the same thing about a Fender Strat (don't get me wrong, I love them Fenders, too... 8)

Free Lifetime Access to the Guitar-Video Chordbank: http://guitaringenuity.com/squeeze1/
My Online Beginners Guitar Course: http://guitaringenuity.com/guitar-courses/beginners-guitar-course
(Coupons for Guitar Noise Members available - please PM me)

ReplyQuote