33 Users
0 Likes
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Take extra picks.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

A buddy of mine has his chord sheets all arranged but also hands out copies to his friends with the lyrics so they can sing along. A good idea, as no one can cop out because they don't know the words and they are concentrating so much on the singing that they never notice any screw ups! Have a blast
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Excellent idea, Robbie! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Try to remember that if you make a mistake, you'll probably be the only one to notice. Just keep going.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OWA...I give you A LOT of credit. I know you and I started around the same time and I am petrified to play in front of a crowd...friends or not. I'll play in front of 1 or 2 co-workers and my students but that's it. I was asked to accompany another teacher in our school talent show and I turned it down :oops: . I am just not ready to "perform". If someone hears me playing at work and stays to listen I'm fine. But to plan a show I am just not ready!

I am really hoping everything goes well for you...you deserve it!!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Try to remember that if you make a mistake, you'll probably be the only one to notice. Just keep going.

That is one of the biggest things. If you do (not saying you will) mess up, don't stop, just keep going and maintain your composure.

It really is fun playing in front of others no matter who they are.

My wife tells me that I looked mad the couple of gigs I've done. I try to explain to her that I'm not mad, I'm just concentrating. I'm working on that but, sometimes you make a face when you're really concentrating on something.

Hope you have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

OWA...I give you A LOT of credit. I know you and I started around the same time and I am petrified to play in front of a crowd...friends or not. I'll play in front of 1 or 2 co-workers and my students but that's it. I was asked to accompany another teacher in our school talent show and I turned it down :oops: . I am just not ready to "perform". If someone hears me playing at work and stays to listen I'm fine. But to plan a show I am just not ready!

I am really hoping everything goes well for you...you deserve it!!

You should do something like that though Mike, it would be a good time. Just pick a song you know well. I've performed with some of my high school teachers, as well as seen many performer in bands and jam. It's a great way to get used to playing, your students are excepting you to be a guitar god or anything.

What grade/subject do you teach anyway?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Why it should be unplugged ? You have always seemed interested in heavy distorted guitar and that kind of music...Do you think an acoustic will suit your personality ?

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I think unplugged is a good way to get into performing. If you start lugging an amp and a pedal board with you, people are going to expect more of you. Of course gear does equal skill, but in the minds of many non-players I bet it does. Also, playing with just an acoustic makes the whole thing more informal and fun. IMO of course.

Here are some guys rocking out unplugged, btw: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_ytrczO2c

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

try not to think about the people you're playing for. i'm guessing most of them can't play the guitar, so no matter what you're doing, you're better than them at it. just do what you do when you're by yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Why it should be unplugged ?

You'd be amazed at how much hero worship you get when you step off the "Look at me, I'm a Power-Chord thrashing, hotel-room trashing, supermodel-dating, groupie-groping Rock God" pedestal and go unplugged for a while.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Plus, and this is an assumption from reading the original post, it's a "party with friends." Probably at someone's home or apartment. Unless they've specifically said "bring an electric guitar," it's the polite thing to do. As a guest, you've got to take your host into account. After all it's their party and it's not supposed to be about you... :wink:

There will be electric days in the future...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

playing unplugged.

one thing I found very effective is to change the tempo.

I do an acoustic slowed down version of You Shook Me (all night long) by ACDC.
it 's sick.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

Have fun man , If you're not having fun it probably won't come out right.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

playing unplugged.

one thing I found very effective is to change the tempo.

I do an acoustic slowed down version of You Shook Me (all night long) by ACDC.
it 's sick.

Here's an acoustic version of "Long Way to the Top"

AC/DC Acoustic

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5