First Time Infront of People

67 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Glad to hear it went well for you.

Congrats on your first performance.

Bet you can't wait for the next one now.
8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Glad ya had fun, but the first time I did that people listened about five minutes then started scattering. I guess they were expecting me to slide out in my underwear like tom cruise playing johnny be good :) ......well maybe not but I didn't sing much at that time and with an acoustic singing goes with the territory. I am still gun shy about bringing my axe to places. I also want some one there with a guitar besides me its less pressure

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

when your skin gets singed, its called painful lol, good job on the jam sessionh owa,
you will be suprised how much better you become, just playing with others,
do it as often as you can 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@alouden)
Trusted Member

Just thought I'd share my experience. (Keep in mind I've been playing about 18 months)
Last July my daughter asked if I could learn a song for her to sing a local outdoor theatre. I said sure, no problem. We practiced and practiced (Probably Wouldn't Be This Way) and the big night came.

It was our turn to go on and I was ok...we turned the corner to the stage and I was staring at about 800 people. Thought I would puke.

We started out and everthing was going fine then I lookd down at my strumming hand and I could not believe how hard it was shaking, it was amazing that I was even able to hit a string. It was at that point I got lost, but my daughter, being the consummate professional kept right on singing til I caught up. I didnt realize 3 minutes could last so long. We finished and I all but ran off the stage.

Went home later that night and watched the video my wife had done, and if you didnt know what was up, you really couldnt tell that I had hosed that section of the song. I've played for her one other time since, still got very nervous but it went better.

I now play in a band at church on Sunday mornings and it is a blast. Much less pressure.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Good going OWA! Sounds like you had a good time (ana that's all that's important).

I have a weekly jam session with two guys and it is the most fun playing I get each week. We just sit around like you guys did, coming up with stuff until we find something that sounds decent. My timing has gotten better, my ear has gotten better, and my overall playing has gotten better. I've still got a life-long road ahead of me guitarwise, but I'm having a blast!

Enjoy it!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I now play in a band at church on Sunday mornings and it is a blast. Much less pressure.

Cause NOBODY heckles Gods band!! Great story... good job

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You even made it in GN's Newsletter!!! 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5