Clear all

First time stringing

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've just changed the strings over on my guitar for the first time, but to be honest i dont really know what i'm doing, they're all positioned right, its just they sound very sharp.. as i suppose they're supposed to, what are the general next steps to getting the guitar to sound normal ? how do i test the tuning of the guitar when its so high pitched etc, all the help possible would be great thanks.

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Given that you have only changed strings once I am going to assume you are a complete novice - if you are NOT, please accept my apologies for the very basic answer!

You will have no chance of tuning this by ear at your level. The besat advice IMHO is to go into your local store and take the guitar, and buy a digital tuner. Get them to have a look over your restringing, and show you how to use a tuner. It shouldn't be expensive, maybe $20.

Failing that, is there no one you know that couldn't show you?

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

They sound "sharper" because that's how strings are supposed to sound. How long has it been since you've changed the strings? If it's been more than a month and a half you're probably used to the dull/dead sound and the new ones are sorta unfarmiliar. When you first put them on they'll be really "zingy" and bright but they'll settle down after a few hours of play. And your tuning stability will even out, too.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

no you're right i realy am a complete novice, one thing i have downloaded off the internet is a guitar lesson thing whatever it is which plays the strings made for tuning. will a digital tuner be alright when using very new strings ?, whats the best tuner to get ? The Qwik Tune is the one i believe is most available.

ReplyQuote
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

shouldnt matter on the brand
just get a chromatic tuner
this will allow you to do alternate tunings later as you advance

you will pay just a little bit more for it...but it is worth it in the long run

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I got a Boss TU## (forget the number) which has chromatic, guitar/bass and a metronome. Works pretty good all around but is not the best metronome but better than none. Cost about $20

I used velcro to mount it to the top of the amp and keep it inline all the time. Because it has lights I can actually do a standard tune from a short distance away.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote