Clear all

Flash cards to learn notation

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was surfing around and found this mandolin fretboard and standard notation learning flash card page.

I'm using it to help me work on reading proper music (as opposed to tabs), but I was hoping someone had found a similar thing for working on learning the guitar fretboard.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

http://www.musictheory.net

Honestly, everyone who reads this, bookmark that link. If you ever want to know how chords are formed, how you can train your ear to recognize scales, how seventh chords are notated and where each note on the fretboard is, use this link.

Kent: trainers->guitar

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

There are all sorts of sets of these available in music stores and online. Some of my students have them but I will say this, a number of my students have also made their own, usually on 3X5 index cards and the ones that make their own, almost all of them, learned quicker than the ones that bought theirs. For whatever that's worth...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Just like writing notes, if you write it you will remember it!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

There are all sorts of sets of these available in music stores and online. Some of my students have them but I will say this, a number of my students have also made their own, usually on 3X5 index cards and the ones that make their own, almost all of them, learned quicker than the ones that bought theirs. For whatever that's worth...

Peace

I made my own flash cards to help memorize all the notes on the fretboard....worked like a champ....I would recommed making them yourself to aid in the learning process.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I guess it makes sense that the act of figuring it out enough to make the flashcards in the first place would be a good learning experience in and of itself.

It seems so obvious now. I should have thought of that myself.

Thanks all. 8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

This is a very entertaining way to learn the guitar fretboard...
Fretboard Warrior

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

I used NoteCard to learn standard notation:

http://familygames.com/freelane.html

I learned on piano, but NoteCard also has a fretboard.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've made myself some flash cards. I used some business card blanks, which are just the right size (85mm x 54mm). The stock number is an Avery one - 32016. I just add this image (which may need resizing, depending on the software):

Then, I fill in the notes and write the note name in the bottom left hand corner, so that, when I select the card, the name is covered by my thumb.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

www.musictheory.net
Honestly, everyone who reads this, bookmark that link. If you ever want to know how chords are formed, how you can train your ear to recognize scales, how seventh chords are notated and where each note on the fretboard is, use this link.

I saw that the other day when looking for info on bass clef notation. Incredibly helpful! And can't beat the price. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Can anyone tell me how to use the chord calculator at musictheory.net utilities->Chord Calculator?

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Lord Ariez unless your playing piano the only thing that calculator will tell you is the notes that make up the chord, obviously you'll have to find them on your own.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@vonweygen)

Try this:

http://www.vegas-webspace.com/frettrain/

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I am also a musictheory.net user. It has some great practice and teaching aids on there. Check it out!

ReplyQuote