Floyd rose Question

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Coupla questions, actually. I have a love/hate relationship with the bridge on my new guitar. It's got a floyd rose licensed trem, with locking nut, and this is the first time I've had one like this.

I LOVE the way it stays in tune once it's in tune. Folks say that floating bridges don't stay in tune- but this one seems never to go far out, unless it goes through a big temperature change. I probably only unlock the nut once a week, the rest of the time the fine tuners on the bridge are enough to nudge it back to perfect. (And if so inclined, I can just wail on the whammy, and it comes right back to in tune.)

But, when I do have to tune it, or god forbid change the strings, which I've done only once, it takes me HOURS to get it in tune. Every change I make to any string knocks the others back out. So it's a case of tuning each string many times, gradually getting closer and closer. "Hours" is probably an exageration. Probably only an hour. But it shouldn't really take this long, should it?

After standard, my favourite tunings are drop D and open E. I'm getting the feeling that this isn't a guitar I'll be making those changes on very quickly. Is there a secret to this, or if I want to play more than one tuning in succession, do I just need another guitar handy?

Two other questions- the bridge comes up when I bend strings, so it's much easier to bend than any of my other guitars. But I have to bend a heck of a lot farther to get the same pitch change.

There are only two springs on the bridge. This is one less than I'm used to seeing, but they seem to keep the bridge in the right place. Is this a problem?

Any advice appreciated- I love the way the thing plays and sounds, but tuning it is driving me insane.

Thanks in advance,
Ande

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Changing tunings on a FR bridge is a royal pain, period. Yeah, grab another guitar. You could add a spring to the back of the bridge to stiffen it up but you will need to re level the bridge when you are done. A trick that I do when restringing mine is to stretch them good and tune about a 1/2 step sharp then just play it for 15 min. It will sound like crap but after the string settle down it will tune up pretty fast.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that.

I was thinking about adding a spring- I wouldn't think it will make it any faster to tune, but should make it a little more normal feeling on the bends.

I'll give the next set of string a good stretch.

Thanks,
ande

PS- I keep looking for "the one" guitar that suits all my needs. Not gonna happen. This is the best guitar I've got for some heavier rock stuff. But it won't play my other stuff...

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Well, not sure about the whole tuning process, but for getting to drop d and back easily, you could always look into this: http://www.dtuna.com/

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

You could use a D-tuna but you will have to block the trem at the very least or add a stabalizer system.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys-

D-TUna looks like even more trouble than a floyd rose already is. Think I'll just stick with it, and probably get a bit better at tuning it eventually.

Guess I'll just keep my cheapocaster in drop d. And maybe have to buy another guitar to keep in open E. Life is rough.

Best,
ande

ReplyQuote