Fret bars wearing grooves?

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello,
I have a Fender Squire Affinity Strat HSS.
Purchased new in late October 2012.
Played maybe 1-2 hours a day, mostly easy strumming and note picking with the amp turned off.
I have noticed grooves starting in the first 2 fret bars, not real deep at all but noticable.
Is this normal?
Or just normal for a cheap guitar?
I had to adjust a couple string heights to stop buzzing, but otherwise I like the guitar and it just never goes out of tune,
This is my first electric, as bad shoulder arthritis prevents playing my acustic.
Thanks.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my fret wires, which they are called, have defined dips in them; especially where I play often. I have had the guitar nearly twenty years. eventually I will have to replace the too worn fret wires. I am having no problems whatsoever in the condition they are in now.
I play a strat and am in a band. you shouldn't have to worry once you have the guitar set up. check the setup every couple years
(IMO).

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

The problem you are experiencing is fret wear. This happens on every guitar, the world over. Couple of things....
1. Get it repaired before it gets worse!
The repair you need to get done is called either "a fret dress".. or "a fret plane and polish". The reason you should get it done is that if you leave it, the divots become too deep to be planed out. Then, apart from you starting to wear out the fingerboard underneath, the repair you will require is a re fret...and that is a MUCH bigger job.
2. You can slow the process a couple of ways...
a) watch how hard you are pressing the string onto the fret...you should be using a very light touch with your left hand. Many people think you have to press harder to stop buzz, that is simply not the case.
b) watch you finger position. Your finger should be behind, but very close to the fret you are playing.
c) Use a higher nickel compound string. In fact, try and get "pure nickel". Most frets are made of Nickel steel, if you are using a stainless steel string, or string with a high steel compound, then your strings are stronger than your frets, thus your frets wear. Use a pure nickel string..and your frets should then be the harder compound.
d) replace strings regularly. Rusting stringd get an "edge" on them..which wears the frets faster.
3. If your guitar starts to buzz, dont raise the action!!!!!
A guitars action ALMOST never lowers itself on the saddles. It is either the neck bending, or the nut wearing down 9 times out of ten If you raise the action... thats similar to sticking a band aid on when you cut your finger off. Take your guitar to a decent repairer... and get it serviced.

Hope that helped.
Zinc

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

fret ware is normal - one note - a dress and polish would probably cost around the price of the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

and I enjoy the look of my fretboard showing wear. I am earning it.

ReplyQuote
(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

Fret dress costs the same as a guitar? then you need to find a repairer that doesnt think himself to be a god lol.
A new (cheap) fender squire, in Australia costs you about $300
I do a fret dress for $60 and that includes a restring.
You should require no more than 1 fret dress every 2-5 years.

Im not so sure about "earning" the wear on your guitar. It WILL get to a point where it is unplayable. I could raise an action on a guitar enough so that you never have to get a fret dress, but why would you make your guitar that hard to play?
As a guitarist, your guitar is your tool. A carpenter doesnt keep using a blunt saw or drill, a racing car driver doesnt continue to drive on bald tires or worn out brakes... professional guitarists (ie clapton, Slash etc) dont leave their guitars to wear out..and neither should you. Accept your Dings as your battle scars..THEY are the things you earn. Fret wear is your guitars playability deteriorating. Get it fixed!

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Fret board showing ware is one thing, I have a maple neck strat that shows twenty years of abuse. Actual fret ware effects play eventually and ain't pretty. If any one is confused (because it is a confusing term) "Polishing" refers to the fine finishing and crowning of fretts after leveling to bring the surface of frets lower than the ware, it doesn't refer to polishing the fret boards like polishing a table top or polishing a guitar finish.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

although I said I like the wear patterns, I do take care of my guitars. before my strat becomes unplayable I will have the frets taken care of. they are not ready quite yet.
guitars go through normal wear. dings, scratches and surface paint thinning is normal.

ReplyQuote
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the replies.
I think my main problem is using too much pressure on the strings.
Something I need to work on.
I am hesitant to spend any more money on this guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i would be, too. that's not the kind of guitar you generally keep for a lifetime. i'd probably look to resell it and find a better one if the net price would be cheaper than the repairs, or if you're not too tight on money and find a good deal.

ReplyQuote
(@riverwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Right, exactly.
See, I got the itch, again, for the 20th time in my life.
So will I stick it out this time? Who knows?
I needed a guitar cause I could no longer play my acustic due to shoulder.
This one was recommended by a friend, as a good "temp" guitar.
Paid $259 including amp and shipping.
3 months later and I love it and play 1-3 hours a day.
Besides the idiot book and lessons on this site, I'm also taking the justinguitar course.
I am not exactly a beginner, but never before advanced much past all the basics stuff.
Anyway that is why I asked, but I don't even want to pay for a setup.
All in all, it plays easy and stays in tune.

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Riverwolf said he had a squier affinity, its worth about $100 USD - A level crown and polish will run you $100 with a set up and strings, A mighty mite replacement neck runs around $85 USD. So yes, The guitar is worth less than the repair. I'm sure any repairman worth a salt might mention that to his perspective victim... client before doing $60 work on a guitar worth about that used. Most guitars are not worth the price of many common repairs, the client may protest for sentimental reasons but its their money. But one thing I did notice Riverwolf - That guitars 4 months old? First, you have hulk hands and I hope you only use them for good, and its probably under warranty. My main guitar is a '96 strat much like yours, its played daily been toured and is played really hard and treated very very very poorly and has had but one level thus far.

ReplyQuote
(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

yeah...as I said..
IN AUSTRALIA.....

Also ... "victim"?!?!

I guess a victim like a patient is a victim of a doctor...sure.

ReplyQuote
(@amx05462)

what id do is while its still good look for a replacement neck and just put it aside. when you cant play it any more change out the neck.

ive had guitars ive bought used with fret wear on them . depending on how hard you push the strings and depending on the material the frets are made of will make a difference in how long the on you have now will last. its much easier to just pop on another neck in an hour or so than to send it out for a refret job..

ReplyQuote
(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

I would never replace the neck on my guitar with another... unless my original neck was busted beyond all repairability.
I think theres more to a guitar than just "any body...any neck...any pickups"... its a sound, a feel, Ive played 10 different guitars of the same model as mine.. and none of them had a neck that felt as good...looked as good..played as sweet.

Maybe im being anal lol

ReplyQuote