Notifications
Clear all

Fret Buzz (ON ALL FRETS) ***need HELP***

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

Ok so I got a guitar off ebay that was located in georgia. I live in ohio so the guitar obviously when through a climate change. So I read that this can usually cause adjustments to the trust rod. So I realized the truss rod was way too straight so I loosened that hoping it would fix the buzzing (EVERYWHERE). Its not just one single fret that is posing a problem. Well this didnt fix the problem. I am new to guitars, this is my first one and now I cant even stand to play it. I am so pissed and I have no Idea what to do. Could this possibly be the strings.

The guitar is in practicly new condition so going by this guide online it says too much fret wear. which doesnt make sense at all. I dont think the guitar neck is warped or bent I think i just need to make adjustments. Heres the guide I used.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/buzzing.htm

Maybe a little info will help. When you press down REALLY hard this eliminates the buzz. I am almost possitive that when you hold the 5th fret the 4th buzzes, when you hold the 12th then the 13th buzzes. I dont know if this helps diagnose the problem or not.

I would really love to get into the playing aspect of the instrument but this is so bad I dont want to play it. I am going to post some detailed pictures as well so maybe because I am a beginner I am overlooking something obvious. Even though I adjusted the truss rod I havent touched the bridge or string height yet. The action is kind of high since I adjusted the truss, but theres still alot of buzzzzz.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the instrument. Or does it just need to be set up/ adjusted correctly. Or did I get ****ed because I bought off ebay.(returning it I would be out $70 on a $170 purchase, so I am not going to do that)
Its not my playing technique. There is still buzz when strummed lightly, fretted carefully. So before I adjested the truss rod, when I put my finger on the first and last fret there was no spacing at all. But after I adjusted it theres about a credit card thickness spacing. But there is still BUZZING!

I really need help on this one.
If these pics dont help but maybe video of it being played or different pics would help let me know. I am trying to do the best to get you to know just as much as if you were there.
Pics:

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

That third pic shows that the string height is incredibly high. It almost looks like 1/4" from the picture. String height is adjusted at the bridge; there are two screws, one on either side of the bridge that need to be adjusted. I am not sure, but I believe on that Squier, it is adjusted at the individual string saddles.

Look at this guide;
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pdf/man/m_511681.pdf

If you take your time & go at it easy, you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. I can see you are frustrated, & that is understandable, but guitar adjustment usually requires finesse, a light touch. If you go at it too hard, you may strip threads, break parts, etc.

Take it slow & easy, the guys on here are a good bunch that can most likely help you out & walk you thru it.

Cheers,
kat

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

The problem here is that, as you say, you're new to guitars. This means that it will be very difficult for you to assess both the real cause of the problem, and any online advice you get about how to fix it. You may either misunderstand and misapply good advice (which it sounds like you already did, by fiddling with the truss rod...) , or you might follow bad advice. Fret buzz can be caused by many things and if you don't know what each adjustment or solution is really for then you'll probably just make it worse. A new player can even cause buzz on a well setup instrument, without knowing how or why. I'd strongly recommend that you get some help from somebody with experience who can actually hold it in their hands, assess it properly, and explain what's going on. If that means you have to pay to get it done, then that may well be better in the long run than a lot of frustrating time spent getting more confused. I do most of my own setting up now, but it's a lot easier when you have a clearer idea of exactly what you're trying to do, and why.

Good luck with it. It could be something quite simple to fix.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@nate_0198)
Topic starter  

Does guitar center do this ? I dont really think theres a local place here that I would be willing to make a trip to.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sorry, I've no idea. I'm in another country.

You may still be able to get somebody here to talk you through a few steps, but it wouldn't be all that easy. Photos are often unreliable. For instance, the neck looks twisted in the shot looking down from the nut, but that might be just the photo.

It could be as simple as the sender having slackened off all the strings before sending it, and you not knowing how tight they should be, or how they should be seated, or it could be something quite hard to fix. There's a lot of possibilities in between, so even if you can find somebody willing and capable to talk you through an online course in setting up a guitar, it could take a lot of time to work all the way through. The basic steps for setups up only work if the thing is basically in good order in the first place. And, as I said before, knowing exactly what you're looking at, and then describing the right element accurately, is pretty difficult at the start.

But that's just my opinion. You could be lucky, and the next poster may be able to direct you straight to a fix...

Good luck finding the assistance you need.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Does guitar center do this ? I dont really think theres a local place here that I would be willing to make a trip to.

HI Nate. Welcome to GN, btw.

I really agree with Chris on this. Get some guidance. You'll pay at least $25, but it will be worth it. Be willing to make the trip. There's got to be some sort of guitar tech in your area within an hour's drive. Ohio's big, but it ain't that big. Also, assume that any guitar you ever buy will need some sort of adjustment. Best to buy local and work that into the price. There are exceptions.

Here's a few possible ways to find someone.

#1: Ask you closest guitar store....and if it's close, stop buying off of eBay and start supporting your local store that can do services. The bitterness of a poor quality outlasts the sweetness of a good deal. Plus, chances are you would not be asking us about this issue. You'd be playing your scales. :lol:
#2: Ask any friend you know that plays if they know of anyone.
#3: Ask around for any teachers that anyone knows and ask them if they know a tech.
#4: Do you have a local Craigslist? If so, post something in there (musical instrument and musicians section) asking about it.
#5: Look through your local advertising paper. Pennysave or whatever. If anyone advertises even lessons, call and ask them if they do it or know who does.

Now, one final word of advice. I assume by the fact that you did not provide measurements that you didn't take measurements. Never adjust a truss-rod without measuring. Measure, twist a tiny bit, measure again. Repeat as needed. I've gone from top end of spec to low end of spec with just under a 1/4 turn. Later on down the road, you might be able to tell by eye. Not me. I measure everything. I love numbers. Numbers are your friend.

I killed a strat neck a few weeks ago, but it was mostly on purpose. Long story. Moral of it is, is that those truss rods can break. My new neck is just wonderful. Old neck developed a twist. Should have brought it in as Fender rep said, but they would have only replaced it with a maple. I wanted rosewood like yours.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tomorrow)

HI You are placing your finger on the fret board close to the fret ,NOT on the fret I hope
regards

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It needs a guitar dokter...

Find a good one. It'll need refretting...and maybe even a fretboard planing, too. Still, no biggie to get done...maybe $200.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Find a good one. It'll need refretting...and maybe even a fretboard planing, too. Still, no biggie to get done...maybe $200.

Cat

I cannot disagree more. You'll scare the poor fella away from guitars. Unless something is broken, I think $200 fret job is pretty much like putting lipstick on a pig. Again, unless something is broken. He paid $170 for a $230 guitar. Getting it playable should cost no where near that. Heck, he can get an aftermarket neck for $80. This isn't a $1,500 gem. Plus, he's a beginner. A perfect, primo fret dressing is gonna help him? I don't think so. Sure, it might be a little smoother, but that's major league over-kill.

If it's in specifications, he'll be totally fine. A $25-$50 set up should get him in great shape. That's what 99% of the rest of the free world does.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Nate. Welcome to the forum. Your post got me thinking. How did you tune the guitar. It sounds like it may not be tuned to pitch. A lot of people will loosen the strings when they ship a guitar. You can buy an inexpensive tuner at just about any music store. Good luck with your guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

How did you tune the guitar. It sounds like it may not be tuned to pitch. A lot of people will loosen the strings when they ship a guitar.

Hi Denny, I wondered about that too, and even suggested it above, but since he's already fiddled with the truss rod it's almost certainly out of whack now anyway. If he didn't take measurements (as Roy suggested) and count fractions of turns, then he'll probably have trouble putting it back where it originally was. It could easily be that he misunderstood why it was buzzing - and took the wrong fix off an internet site, with the best of intentions but not enough experience - then decided to adjust the rod when all he needed to do was to tune it up properly. There's a bewildering range of possible wrong choices when you're new to something... :?

If so, then it's going to feel like a costly mistake but, on the up side, getting a second hand guitar setup properly is always a good idea, and he'll be learning from it all anyway. Many people feel that, even with a new guitar, the cost of getting it professionally set up for them is well worth the cash. I'm sure he'll have gone through all sorts of worry about whether he's bought a dud, not mention a bit of embarrassment, but if he ends up with a well set up guitar, some first hand knowledge gained, and a story to laugh about later, then it won't be too bad an outcome... :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One thing about, particularly, chromatic tuners is that they usually give you the note, but not the octave, which means that you can tune your guitar to EADGBE, but an octave too low. If your tuner has a tone generator, it will produce a tone at, normally, 440Hz, which is the same as the tone played at the 5th fret of the high e string (the thinnest).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Cat

I cannot disagree more. You'll scare the poor fella away from guitars. Unless something is broken, I think $200 fret job is pretty much like putting lipstick on a pig. Again, unless something is broken. He paid $170 for a $230 guitar. Getting it playable should cost no where near that. Heck, he can get an aftermarket neck for $80. This isn't a $1,500 gem. Plus, he's a beginner. A perfect, primo fret dressing is gonna help him? I don't think so. Sure, it might be a little smoother, but that's major league over-kill.

If it's in specifications, he'll be totally fine. A $25-$50 set up should get him in great shape. That's what 99% of the rest of the free world does.

:P I bought a Squier for 80 bucks off of Ebay with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and other single-coil pickups I don't know the name of xD sweet deal don't cha think ( yes kinda off topic but whatever :P )

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Squires are quite servicable guitars. Lots of people have at least 1. I got mine last December. Just a few minor adjustments and a fresh set of strings was all I needed. My only complaint is that the stupid pick-up height screws for the neck were under the pick-guard. It came really low, so I removed the guard and adjusted up. Now I really like it. I put off my pick-up change.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Wow yeah I had to change the whole bridge myself cause it was breaking my strings, changed it with the other guitar I had, good as new, its great and now for my birthday ( well its in november but whatever) since I'm going to be 15 mom told me she would buy me some good gear ( new guitar, new amp, couple of pedals and stuff), I should prolly start a thread on what I should get...

But yeah Squiers are cool, mine came in a box with Newspapers from L.A. haha really cool, and with stickers, two "Apple" stickers and one sticker of some kinda knight o.o great.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2