Fretboard navigation & chords

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@izildop)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Got two question's

- My chord transiting is getting kind of better. My question was if anyone knows, some beats for in the background to make the practice a little bit more fun, you know to get more rhythm in it. Playing songs a still a little bit the hard yet.

- How do I improve navigating horizontally and vertically on my fretboard, do I need to practice pentatonic scales for that?

Thank you.

(@alangreen)

Beats - Google it. There are shedloads. Avoid those you have to pay for

Navigation - play songs at full speed. It doesn't have to be anything difficult; lots of songs just cycle around four chords

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@izildop)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

But is pentatonic scales a good focus for navigation?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

But is pentatonic scales a good focus for navigation?

No - unless you call out the note names as you play them, pentatonic scales is a focus for playing pentatonic scales, which you will then use to improvise a solo.

Scales on the guitar - pentatonic, major, harmonic or melodic minor, whole-tone, modes etc - are all pattern based, so all you really need to know to play them are the notes on the 5th or 6th string where you're starting.

Here's a challenge for you - play this standard doo-wop/ pop sequence using A or Am shaped barre chords: A-F#m-D-E.

Let us know how you played it.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote