Clear all

Fretlight guitar?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@e_moo)
Topic starter  

Hi,

Another 40 something guy trying to start up playing guitar again!

I've been looking around a bit on this site but haven't found any reviews on the fretlight guitar or the
accompanying software

Anyone here have advice or direct experience.....good or bad?

http://www.optekmusic.com/newhome.htm

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Hello e_moo,

I have no idea what that is. Just wanted to say welcome to GN. Enjoy...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

Hi, e_moo, welcome. I've never used this, but I've read the description and I have an opinion.

I think using one of these to learn the guitar will just cause a lot of bad habits--well at least two bad habits come to mind.

One is that it will really make you look at the fretboard all the time when you play. It's better to get used to playing without looking at the fretboard early on.

The second, is that in order to be able to see the lights, it seems you would have to hold the guitar improperly, or lean over it in a wierd way.

Another thing is that I'm not sure how good this would really help at learning the guitar. I've tried programs like eMedia or the guitarvision player. Basically these show a fretboard on the screen and dots move around where you are supposed to play. This seems like those, except it lights up right on the guitar.

I've never found those programs to be a good way to learn, the animated fretboard doesn't really do it for me, because you can't really read ahead like you can with sheet music or even with tab.

I guess that's me, other people might find they learn better this way, after all there are testimonials on their site. And like I said, I never used it. Still in my opinion it's a gimmick.

I'd be curious to hear from someone who has used it, what they think. Or from someone on here who teaches guitar what they think.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Interesting. Looks like it would make things faster in the beginning sitting in front of a mirrior but I think it is like just avoiding learning in better ways and then you will be used to doing it this way and you will have to learn other ways anyway, so I agree maybe just a gimmick type thing for a 'quick fix'?

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Total Guitar magazine thought the Fretlight was ok, and even said that the guitar part of the package would survive a gig. Personally, I have my doubts - you can find any number of keyboards in shops that do the same thing but I'm not sure you'd learn to play the piano that way either; surely, you're just following the lights.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I saw this and thought about it too!

However, I know what the chords are and where the fingers SHOULD go. The problem is training my fingers to go there.
So I didn't think this Fretlight was for me.

It looks like a good idea?

I agree also if may ruin your posture?

As an almost Forty something.... OK, you got me.... big time Forty something guy just get a decent acoustic.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote