Clear all

Fretting hand cramp

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tiffer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hullo, ive been playing guitar for a few years now but only seriously doing lessons from this site and now the book blues you can use for the last 6 months or so, getting 2-3 hours a day playing in, during this time, ive been waking in the night with my left hand cramping up so all my fingers are almost streight and I can barely move them, to get rid of it i have keep trying to move them and all that, it doesn't hurt at all, I was thinking that it might be the way im sleeping on my arm, it only happens when im sleeping, but is it too much guitar playing or something?

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd like to take the liberty here to suggest seeing a chiropractor, if affordable/covered by insurance...They work magic.

All that aside, it's important to stretch your hands/fingers before playing guitar. Bend your fingers backwards towards your wrist (don't break them) until there is tension/a little burn, and hold for about 10 seconds. Do them all together, then seperately, etc.

Could also have to do with the way you are sleeping, but either way, it's good to stretch.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@tiffer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

cheers, ill start doing stretches and such and see how things go

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Could also have to do with the way you are sleeping, but either way, it's good to stretch

HAH! I woke up this morning (Now THERE'S an idea for a blues song....) and stretched sleepily - as you do - and pulled a muscle in my calf. Yet another one to add to the list of bizarre injuries I've suffered in the last few years.... but at least this time it's not stopping me playing guitar!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote