Clear all

Frustrated and lost interest in playing

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@just-a-learner)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,I'm a beginner player of about 2months.I've read most of the posts about strumming patterns but I still don't get it. I've been trying to get thru some 2 and 3 chord songs without it even sounding like what it should. My chord changes arn't clean yet, but to keep my spirits up to enhance my practice i'd like to sound at least a little of what the song should sound like. At this stage I'm frustrated and starting not to care.I know 4/4 time and 4 downstrokes per measure and all that, but the particular song does'nt come out like it should. I think I need help. :?:

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What's the song that is troubling you?

The best thing to do is to really listen to the song. It wasn't until after I started playing guitar that I really started to hear music. Now, I can figure out most strumming patterns, hammer-on, pull-off, slide, bend, etc….. just by listening to each individual part.

Give it time, you're ear will develop.

ReplyQuote
(@just-a-learner)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I tried to get a handle on "country roads", "auld lang syne", "Kumbya".
Do you think I expect too much to early?

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

It took me about 6 months to fully get the main chords with some speed. At two months you are cutting it a bit close but hey, it's always good to try to challenge yourself early.

I suggest you try to fingerpick the same chord progressions you are doing so that you don't get as frustrated. This will also give you a better way to practice.

I would also suggest that you try easier strumming patters. Such as all 4 downstrokes on each chord or down up down down is a popular one I use for chord progressions. This will increase your speed...whatever you do - just keep at it - within a week of doing the same pattern your mind will start to get it. You also need it to soak into your mind, so expect the 2 hours of practice + to kick in the next day.

Jet.

ReplyQuote
(@just-a-learner)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice Tracker and Jet. I'll try not to expect too much too early

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

When I first Started playing I got really really really frustrated with chords. (especially the C and G chord change) so to take a break I learned the I walk the line riff just for a change in thinking, but once I learned that little riff I went back to my chords and found them a little easier. I still had to work my but off to get the C and G but once i mastered those I could pretty much get all the other open positions. I didnt try to really learn any songs just trying to get the chord changed by doing CC GG C G C G CCC G and the such and then adding a 3rd chord and such. its just sometimes pays off to take a break. trying learning a simple riff from a song you like.
hope this helps

Micheal

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Two months is a very short amount of time when it comes to learning guitar, you might consider finding a teacher or friend to play with, in the beginning it's much easier having someone actually play and show you a strumming pattern.

If it gets too frustraiting try something different for a little while then come back to it.

Best of luck..

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Couple of thoughts:

1) 2 months is NOTHING. Learning an instrument is a life-long endeavor. People who have been playing for 40 years are still learning new things. A realastic expectation is that after about 2 years of solid work you'd be proficient at the basics and have a few minor advanced tricks in your bag. Don't expect too much too soon. Musical instruments are similar in this regard to martial arts. Most people start martial arts wanting to know how long it takes to get their "black belt" thinking that means they'll be an expert. Most "black belts" recognize that after spending 2 or 3 years getting the black belt, they're now at the point where they can START learning. Learning the guitar is the same way.

2) Everyone goes through periods of excitement and boredom. Some things are fun to learn. Some things are just boring hard work. One of the traits that make the great guitarists great is the patience and discipline to do the hard boring stuff that's necessary to advance.

3) teachers are a great help. Someone who has experience helping people learn, who knows how to coach you past the hard parts, and who can help you figure out the best ways for you to learn is well worth the investment. Your own time has value, and wasting hour upon hour practicing something that's too advanced or too simple for you is wasting your own time. Spending a few dollars for an hour lesson every week or two to make sure you're maximizing your progress towards your goals is just good sense. Sure finding a teacher is difficult, but it's worth it. I drive an hour in each direction to my lesson every week, because that's how far I have to go to find someone who knows what I want to learn. It's well worth the time and money.

4) Be your own harshest critic when you practice. Don't ever accept less then perfection from yourself. But at the same time, set realistic goals. If a whole song is giving you fits, take one small part of it, and demand that you will play that one section to perfection. The section can be as small as one phrase within one measure. It doesn't matter. Demand perfection of yourself and you will improve. Accept slop and you won't.

5) Be your own biggest fan when you play. You're doing this 'cause you like the guitar, you like music, and you want to enjoy playing. So do so. Make a differentiation in your head between practice time and play time. When it's time to play cut loose and have a blast. Really enjoy yourself and don't criticize anything. You're making music and having fun. Make sure you not only allow yourself to enjoy playing, but you really foster that enjoyment.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

kingpatzer said it well "2 months is nothing"

It took me at least a year to be able to "hear strumming patterns"

Give it time.

good luck

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sit down in a quiet room, away from anyone else. Lock the door (a few bottles of beer is optional, but recommended - assuming you're old enough to drink, that is). Sit down with the guitar, relax and just start strumming - any way that comes to you. Whatever you do, do NOT try to make music.

Whenever the mood takes you, change chords - any you like, it's no big deal.

Just "noodle" around for as long as you have time and concentration for. You'll find, after a while, that certain patterns will come naturally - remember them and keep coming back, to fix them in your mind (you'll find that this happens without you having to think about it).

Whatever you do, you are NOT to attempt to play a particular pattern from a piece of music - just do what your mind tells your hands to do.

Once you feel really comfortable and can strum without thinking about it (take 2 or 3 sessions, to "acclimatise" yourself), near the end of the session, think of a song that someone is singing - let's just say "blowing in the wind" - and sing along, if only in your mind, without stopping strumming. You'll suddenly find that you're strumming along, like a pro. Whether you're playing the right chords is irrelevant.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=363

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Some really great posts and advice.

Strumming guitar is one of those things that seems difficult at first. And then one day "Viola!" you've got it. Then it will seem like the easiest thing in the world and you will wonder why it ever seemed hard.

One of the biggest secrets is just plain RELAX. Really. Quit worrying about it. Just strum that thing the way YOU FEEL. I think this is what Greybeard was saying. And he is right.

When you strum, just listen to your guitar and the sound it makes. And then make it sound pleasing to you. Don't worry if you are playing exactly the way a recording sounds, or how the music is written out. Music is about originality and individuality. So strum that baby your own way.

But play relaxed. Try not to have tension in your hands, especially your wrist. Just have fun. Trust me, just keep practicing and it will come to you. And then you'll laugh because it seems so easy.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 bry
(@bry)
Trusted Member

hi ive been learning for about 6 months, and have found
that learning a tune keeps me interested. i can play
wish you were here found in the beginners songs and best
of all you can hear how it`s meant to sound, shame
mine doesnt quite sound the same yet. but with more
practise it will. keep at it.

trying to learn the guitar with my 50 birthday just around the corner SH*T it`s come and gone

ReplyQuote
(@just-a-learner)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,I'd just like to pass on my thanks to everyone who posted some advice.I mean it's all kind of over whelming.

Cheers :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'd also note that complex strumming patterns aren't necessarily "better" than simple ones.

How many great blues artists use a simple 4-to-the-bar rhythm strum?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2