22 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.7 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Maybe it is just the right chord for the tune, but i'd been practicing the G chord 320003 - then had a look at Dave Hodges 'easy' Wish you Were Here' and he plays the G chord 320033 (but calls it G - not Gadd9 or something equally as odd). Before I get totally hung up on this a pass my uninfinite knowledge of the proper G chord onto other unsuspecting listeners - should I always use 320003 when playing a basic G chord....?

Shame really, 'cos I've got quite used to forming the little pesky chord now... :evil:

Thanks

Dylan

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@peejay)
Estimable Member

My guess is...you are talking about 0 or 3 on the B string, which means it is either a B (open) or a D (3). Since the notes of the G chord are G B D, either would work, it'd be just a different sound for the same chord. That said, I've mostly seen it as 300023, so that's probably a safe bet for your muscle memory. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Dylan, the normal convention is to write chords from low to high.
So it's 320003 & 320033

As Peejay said, it's just two different, but equally valid ways, of playing the same chord, G major.

320033 is especially good for "Wish you were" here because the D note on string 2 gives a little of the sound of a 12 string guitar as used on the original Track.

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

Am I the only one here who uses a lazy G chord 3x0033 ? :oops:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

As Peejay said, it's just two different, but equally valid ways, of playing the same chord, G major.

Dude - I like your videos BTW, very inspirational! - I am "20 days to upload" myself - anyway the whole guitar lesson thing is to get you to learn some chords, something about rhythm and MOST IMPORTANTLY to get you to a point where you can take the chords for a song you absolutely LOVE and create a playable version that is maybe even recognizable as the original song.

Playing around and the resulting feedback from your ears is part of the learning process. One day you will be looking at tab (and free tab is notoriously inaccurate!) and asking yourself, how do I play the G here. Try it diffent ways, which one do YOU like? There are any number of ways to play a song...

Check out this version of "House of the Rising Sun" ... I weep .... do you know this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbZoK5jAdM

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Check out this version of "House of the Rising Sun" ... I weep .... do you know this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbZoK5jAdM

Holy cow, that raises the bar a bit, doesn't it.... Okay...give me a couple of weeks.... :roll:

Anyways, I think I'll stick with my 330023 - as I was born with them - let's use them... Hey, I think I've just found my signature..... :D

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

There are lots of ways to finger most chords.
I was taught the 320003 version for most songs, the 320033 version for Wish You Were Here, and the 3x0003 version for some songs. It depends on both the sound you are going for and what fingers positions work best with the chords preceding and following.

I'm not strong on theory but I believe a chord is three notes. You have six strings on most guitars. There are many different ways to get those three notes in on six different strings.

Man, Naudo is cool!

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It'd make a difference if you were playing a melody based on arpeggios. Strumming, the difference is subtle.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

It'd make a difference if you were playing a melody based on arpeggios. Strumming, the difference is subtle.

So, REM Everybody Hurts... 3 fingers or 4? :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Try it and see which sounds right.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Well I know what sounds right to me (I use the 3 finger-one), but that's not to say that's what it should sound like :(

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Am I the only one here who uses a lazy G chord 3x0033 ? :oops:

Just letting you know that that G is incomplete. The chord G has 3 different notes G, B & D. Yours doesn't have a B.

Dylan - you're still writing them wrong way round. The shape is 320033, not 330023

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Well I know what sounds right to me (I use the 3 finger-one), but that's not to say that's what it should sound like :(
3? :?

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

3 fretting fingers: 320003
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

3 fretting fingers: 320003
:)
Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. I spaced out and was trying to figure out 3 right-hand fingers. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2