Clear all

G chord question

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My teacher says to use the 2 3 4 fingers so I have options with the index finger. So I'm wondering what chords would these be:

[321003]
[320103]
[320013]
[322003]
[320203]
[320023]

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

[321003] = G augmented
[320103] = G add b9
[320013] = G add 11
[322003] = E minor
[320203] = G add 9
[320023] = G add#11

Other names are possible depending on which note is the root - I just gave the most obvious with G as the root except for E minor, which could also be G6 (but with no 5th)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I personally use the pinky on the high e, middle on the low E, and index on the A string. If I were to do it all over again I would have learned to use the pinky on the high e, ring on the low E, and middle on the A. That would free up the index finger to do all sorts of stuff. Also, it sets the hand up for an easy switch to a C chord.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

It appears I'm playing my G chord wrong then!

However I do like the old [320033], whatever that is. I think it's still just a regular G. But that would be hard to play using this different method.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It's worth being able to finger the open G chord in a number of different ways. Sometimes one fingering just sets you up for the next chord better than another.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It appears I'm playing my G chord wrong then!

However I do like the old [320033], whatever that is. I think it's still just a regular G. But that would be hard to play using this different method.

For better or worse, I generally finger my G with that extra D note with the ring finger on the B string 3rd fret. It's just a G chord (G B D notes) with a high D added. I used to call it the "Grateful Dead" G when I first started because I saw it in a few Dead tunes.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

To me a G sounds dead without it. :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am with you Clazon, I love the G chord with the D note on the B string. And I remember exactly how I learned this chord. I was a huge fan of Eric Clapton, when his album Slowhand came out I saw the cover:

I tried the G chord this way, sounded so much better and fuller to me, I have played it this way ever since. :D

But there are some cool things you can do by using the traditional fingering (m, r, p). For instance, you can hammer on a Am7 chord like this. You will hear this strum in many songs. Dylan and Paul Simon often use this little chord riff:

G Am7

e---3--------3--3--0--3---
b---0--------0—-1--0--0---
g---0--------0--0--0--0---
d---0--------0--2--0--0---
a---2--------2--X--2--2---
e---3--------3--3--3--3---
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

So, learn both ways. But the D note on the B sounds best. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

To me a G sounds dead without it. :D
Ditto! I really have to pay attention to manage to play a G without that note... it just happens :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Yep, it makes the Cadd9 (among others, I'm sure) to G transition that much easier!

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

yeah me too. i play the G chord with the higher D like 98% of the time. sounds a little too 'open' without it and the distinction with its relative minor (E minor) is not as clear...

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I normally don't play the D on the second string unless I'm muting the fifth string for a G5 power chord. [3x0023]

ReplyQuote