Clear all

G-String questions

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm finding I'm having problems with tuning the G-String. I've noticed it on two different guitars now, but it seems that the string slips when turning the tuning peg and it takes longer to tune that specific string. Is this normal for guitars? It seems that way for the classical that I just bought today as well.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

1) Make sure it's properly wrapped on the peg, with enough to hold it but not a lot of messy, wadded slack string. See one of the online pictorial how-tos for changing strings.

2) Make sure the string isn't binding in the nut slot. Very common on the third string, especially if you have installed heavier gauge strings. This is an extremely common source of tuning problems that get mistakenly blamed on tuners, and also of string breakage.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yep...I'd pretty much say that EVERY guitar I've ever had has some sort of anomoly on the G. I started tuning up on the first fret...the G#...so long ago that it's "just what I do". I dunno why this happens.

Hey! Gnease!!! If anyone should know...it's you, Dude!

Happy New Year...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Are we talking acoustic or electric? If acoustic, the core of the "g" is typically the thinnest core of all the strings, but it's wound to give it the proper tone. That might be the cause of what you've noticed.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Nope...it doesn't seem to matter. Acoustic or electric. But not off by much, in any case...not even up to one beat. In fact, I haven't tuned off an open G in maybe 20 years...it's Second Nature to use the G#...so the logic's lost on me.

Curiouser and curiouser...

HNY

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's happened on all my guitars, acoustic, electric, and recently purchased classical. I thought it was my guitar, I'm glad, well, not really, but you know, that it's not just happening to me.

I appreciate the input, the strings I"m going to change in a bit on my classical, I don't like what came on them, so I'll see what I can do with that.

Appreciate the input everyone!

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

This is a common issue that I've done tons of research on. You could also try a wound G string :)

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Yep, I have always found in my experience that the G string is the most sensitive as far a tuning goes. Any guitar I've played has been that way. Don't know why.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most likely one to break, too.

I think it's kinda on the line between too fat for a plain string and too skinny for a wound one in the range of pitches we use.

(I don't usually call it a G string, because I don't usually have it tuned to G.)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So I guess I won't worry about it then, it's common, it just.....

Nothin' but a G thang!!! :roll: sorry

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've noticed this especially with 3 on a side head stocks but it happens on all my guitars to some extent. I try to smooth out the nut so it doesn't bind, lube it or what ever, but I also when tuning give the G string a good bend and recheck before I start playing. This seems to unstick it if has a mind to bind so to speak.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hadn't thought about the 3 on a side/ 6 on a side difference, but the third string runs straighter through the nut with 6 on a side. Excellent observation.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 to about what everyone else has been saying. I use a lubricant on my nut grooves whenever I change strings. Big reduction with the problem g-strings sticking-releasing thing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Spooky! I mean this G string stuff seems to be endemic...but, no kiddin'...I've NEVER had ANY guitar that the G tuned out the same as the rest of 'em. This is truly weird to see every one else scratchin' the same bit of their noggin' over this.

What the heck... the luniverse is, well, luny!

Happy Hangovers

Meow

ReplyQuote