G2 chord??

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
alexduller
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What is a G2 chord???- someone told me that it was an inversion, but what does this mean?

Thanks
Alex :wink:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

garytalley
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

They probably mean a Gsus2. That's a G chord with an A note instead of a B in it. Here's one way to play it:

3x0233.
That's a G on the 3rd fret of the 6th string with your 2nd finger. Mute the 5th string by letting the 2nd finger touch it. Open D string , 1st finger on 2nd fret of G string.3rd finger on 3rd fret of B string. 4th finger on 3rd fret of little e string.

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
NoteBoat
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

'2' only means a particular inversion in figured bass... and '2's only apply to seventh chords there, so you won't see G2 (in figured bass, G is the root position, G6 is the first inversion, and G4/6 is the second inversion)

There's no such chord as a G2. It could be a second interval, G-A, using the same convention as a 'power chord' written G5.

Or it could be a Gsus2 as garytalley suggests... although the notes G-A-D are more properly called Dsus or Dsus4 in every use of them I've seen.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
reasonableman
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

Hmmm perhaps this was from a TAB that uses two inversions for G?

So they used G to represent G and G2 to reprsent the other G? I've seen that sort of thing done before...

ReplyQuote
alexduller
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok....thanks for the great replies guys. I think its the Gsus2 idea since this sounds right... :)

Thanks
Alex

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote