Clear all

Garageband Lessons

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone used the built-in lessons in Garageband? I started running through the basic lessons yesterday, and it's a great teaching tool. As a bonus, you also gain some familiarity with using the software.

Unfortunately it looks like Apple has not been interested in developing this; there's just been one minor update since it came out. If they would open it up like they did the iPhone app store and get instructors like Guitar Noise producing content, it could be a very useful tool.

:note2:

(@3chordsabadattitude)
Eminent Member

Yeah, I just started in on those lessons the other day as well. I'm pretty impressed with them, but yes it would be nice to see more content getting developed beyond the 9 free lessons and the handful of paid ones that are available.

Once you lick the lollipop of mediocrity, you'll suck forever.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

It's worth checking the websites of various recording mags to see if they have any backissue content incl GB lessons online. The mags I can think of right now...

Sound On Sound (unlikely to have GB)
Computer Music
Music Tech
FutureMusic

I'm pretty sure at least one of them has/had a regular feature on using GB. Also worth peeping the GB section of the "support" forums on Apple's site.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@starbucks)

Opening Garageband and finding free lessons is one of the things that finally tipped me over the edge and prompted me to buy my first guitar.

I've been playing through them and find them really helpful, and not at all intimidating for a very-beginner. Easy to follow, and great for visual learners like myself.

I also like that they offer the additional 8 beginner lessons for free downloads. :)

ReplyQuote
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've found those GarageBand lessons to be a good complement to the lessons here on GN. It adds some challenge to your note accuracy and tempo that you don't otherwise get.

Sound On Sound (unlikely to have GB)
Computer Music
Music Tech
FutureMusic

I'm pretty sure at least one of them has/had a regular feature on using GB. Also worth peeping the GB section of the "support" forums on Apple's site.

Good references - thanks.

ReplyQuote