Skip to content
Getting back on the...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting back on the wagon, with unbelievable new equipment.

13 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Been taking a breather from guitar recently, due to a busy lifestye and meeting a really awesome new woman. I have been keeping up skills I have already learned, but haven't been branching out much.

My new GF is moving in next week, and bringing with her 3 guitars and an amp. 2 American Fenders, a regular American, with upgraded pickups and a 60th Anniversary American, plus a nice acoustic Alverez. She also has a 65' Reissue( I think) Fender twin Reverb and a bunch of really nice pedals. They are from her late husband, and she doesn't know how to play.

I feel kinda weird about using his stuff, as I am barely at intermediate level (he was an amazing blues guitarist, rest his soul) and they are not mine. Kind of strange using someone's gear that has passed away, especially her late husband. She insists that I do, and it would be a shame not to use such awesome equipment.

Hopefully this will give me the boost to get back into regular practice and lean some new stuff. I'm crazy if I don't, there are going to now be 3 fenders, 2 amps and 2 acoustics in the apartment.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

She could have sold the guitars and trousered the money - instead, she chose to hand them on to someone who'll appreciate them and play them. Take her up on what I think is a really nice offer. It might feel strange at first - sort of like stepping into dead man's shoes - but you'l have to work harder, do justice to them.

To quote Rick Springfield (and I bet that's a first around here!) "Where can I find a woman like that?"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you must have died and went to heaven.
your girlfriend is giving you herself and her gear.

all of our instruments will out live us. it is proper that she allow you them.
treat both with repsect.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

I'm sure if you could ask him, he would be pleased. Count your blessings.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Another +1, I would find it very inspiring. Do him proud.

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

good story for a blues song. could write it from his pov.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

WOW, talk about falling into the gear! That's cool! Look at it like this, You will be honoring his memory now!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The gear caused it all !

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Pretty awesome. :D

Just don't get her mad, instead of saying you're not the man he was, she'll say you're not the guitarist he was. :lol:

At least you know you have someone that can tolerate someone playing guitar for hours, hard to find.

Much success, and yes, he would want the guitars to be used. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yep! Wes summed it all up, pretty much. Hey, wouldn't YOU want YOUR guitars used long after you've gone???

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member

Yep! Wes summed it all up, pretty much. Hey, wouldn't YOU want YOUR guitars used long after you've gone???

Cat

No. I want them buried with me. Otherwise what would I do in heaven?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Interesting story. Enjoy the gear, treat it with respect as well as your girlfriend and you will be fine. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote