Clear all

Getting fed up :-(

29 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@skiljfhn)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,
I've been learning guitar for about 18 months. Now I admit I don't practice as often as I should, about 1.5 hours a week in blocks of about 30 mins I would say. But whereas in the first 6 months I noticed a slight improvement I don't seem to have gotten any better over the last year. I still find it difficult to stretch my fingers along the fret board, my little and forefingers and still very weak (useless actually) and my picking is awful. I just can't get any rhythmn. Am I being impatient? Or should I really have made a little more progress by now and should I give up?

Sorry to sound pathetic but I really am getting fed up.

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You might need some "hands on" instruction from a teacher. So look around and find one that can help you improove.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Indeed, a teacher can do wonders. Also, try to squeeze in a few more minutes every day, it can only help. Finally: only give up playing guitar when youdon't enjoy playing any more. It is no race, and how fast you progress really shouldn't matter. Just keep on playing, have fun, and when you look back in 40 years you will see the improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Hey Mate, Introspection can sometimes be harsh. Play for a friend who has never heard you play. To your surprise, he/she will be amazed.

And try playing everyday, even for 20 mins.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@skiljfhn)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I will try all those things. Alhough, I did have a teacher for a while. I had to stop though because (a) I was going to each lesson and going through the same thing because I wasnt progressing and (b) I was finding it increasingly difficult to find time and funds what with college etc. I just feel that after nearly 2 years I should be pretty good and im not. But ill practic more, that can only help.
Cheers guys :-D

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Thanks everyone. I will try all those things. Alhough, I did have a teacher for a while. I had to stop though because (a) I was going to each lesson and going through the same thing because I wasnt progressing and (b) I was finding it increasingly difficult to find time and funds what with college etc. I just feel that after nearly 2 years I should be pretty good and im not. But ill practic more, that can only help.
Cheers guys :-D

If a teacher isn't helping you to progress you need to find a new one.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A for the finger weakness and lack of reach.
There are quite a number of finger exercises to help this. Many can be done while you are watching TV. studying ect...
One I use is this.
Place your fingers over 4 ajoining frets. just lay them on the strings.
Then push down (make shure your thumb is directly beneath your middle finger) hold for a couple of seconds, release for a couple seconds and repeat. You should feel even pressure on all 4 fingers.
Do the same thing but only press down with 2 fingers at a time and alternate wich 2. (I find this really gives a good work out if I use 1&3 then 2&4 then 1&4)
You can do the above exercises without picking, just work them fingers.
If you are having a reach problem, start up around the 7th fret or so were they are closer together and work your way towrd the nut from there as your fingers stretch out.
There are a number more exercises on this site and elsewhere on the net.
Don't give up, you will get better.

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Eminent Member

I just feel that after nearly 2 years I should be pretty good and im not.
Maybe your expectations are just a bit too high? :(

Instead of concentrating on how good you think you should be (which is something none of us can ever attain - we always wish we could go that extra mile, no matter how far we've gone), concentrate on enjoying what you've achieved so far.

Remember there was a time when you didn't even know how to hold a guitar, much less how to extract notes out of it! :shock:

Don't be afraid to pat yourself on the back. :D

(And 2 years is definitely not that long a time. For most instruments, the basic curriculum is 6 to 8 years. And you'll continue studying and learning for years after that.)

Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Alhough, I did have a teacher for a while. I had to stop though because (a) I was going to each lesson and going through the same thing because I wasnt progressing and (b) I was finding it increasingly difficult to find time

From what you just said, it seams to me that you were NOT practicing what your teacher gave you. Which brings up the question- Did you like what he or she was teaching you? Did you tell him or her what type of music you were into and would like to play one day?

So to me it looks like it wasn't your teacher, it was you not finding the time to practice. True or False?

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I, too, have been playing for eighteen months and just tonight I was telling my wife that I'm getting frustrated with my lack of progress. Wise woman that she is, she said, "Just think, when you're sixty-four, you'll have twenty-five years experience. Think how good you'll be."

It put it in perspective. Bottom line, we all get frustrated, don't gove up or give in.

P.S. What I wanted to ask was "yeah, but will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?" (only because When I'm Sixty-Four was the exit song played at our wedding ceremony. A little vow renewal, you know)

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@skiljfhn)
Topic starter  

Tracker, you're right, I didn't practice as much as I should have. What with girlfriend, college, rugby and turning ill for a while I found it difficult to find the time. Something had to go, so I got rid of the girlfriend :-D

Ill keep going though. Thanks for those exercised missileman. Ill definately give them a try!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

curlycurtain

You are a busy person with a full plate, but 2 hours a week is not much practice at all. When I started guitar I used to practice 6-8 hours everyday. I have woken up in the middle of the night still holding my guitar. I would practice into the wee hours and fall asleep.

If you really love guitar and want to be good at it, you have to make time to practice. There are no shortcuts. Just play, play, play and you'll get good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member

Here are two quotes from a popular creativity book that help to keep me going.

I'll take care of the quantity and let _ (insert favorite mysitical being)_ take care of the quality

In order to become a good artist, one has to first allow oneself to be a bad artist.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

"In order to become a good artist, one has to first allow oneself to be a bad artist."

I like that quote because I think it's true. I've found one has to try to go beyond and fail to get better. Those who don't take risks will never reach the higher potential.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Note: You don't need to practice for 6-8 hours a day... Wes is just crazy. Haha, kidding.

It can't hurt, but you probably don't have the time for it. But 1 hour a week won't do much for you...If you could get an hour a day, that would be great.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2