Skip to content
Getting new guitar ...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting new guitar - is it suitable for what I want to do?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@skiph)
Topic starter  

I "want" this guitar, Ovation CC059 Natural (as seen on Amazon), but I am not sure it is the right guitar. I want to play classical and blues, maybe the occasional Jimi Hendrix (just kidding). I figure that at my skill level (I know a C from a D chord and string), that most any guitar will do. I have had a number of cheapies and wanted to get a good guitar, but I don't want to have to buy something else later on.

That's one reason I wanted to do an Ovation. Best of both worlds?

Any suggestions or comments gratefully accepted.

Skiph

Remember, always drink upstream from the herd.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If ever there was a guitar you absolutely have to play before you buy, the Ovation is it.

There are two camps regarding Ovation, Love and Hate. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I wouldn't recommend an Ovation as a classical substitute, the round back makes it hard to hold sitting down.

ReplyQuote
(@skiph)
Topic starter  

Nick,

I appreciate the reply and have to admit that the only Ovation I have ever played was wonderful and about 25 years ago.

I was planning on hitting the local music stores before I made my purchase (maybe). Now I surely will.

Putting you on the spot, considering the price range $400 to $500, any suggestions? Also, Amazon is, on this guitar, offering a 9117-0 case as part of the deal.

Again, thanks,

Skiph

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'd put myself in the both love and hate categories as far as ovations go, I've played some incredible guitars from them, but I've also played some real duds. Just like anything I suppose.

I generally don't recommend them, as my feeling is that the plastic, rounded back always takes something away from the sound. They always lack the full sound that I desire in an acoustic.

Definitely make your own decision though, try every brand, every guitar you could fit in your price range, and some you couldn't, just for comparison.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@skiph)
Topic starter  

Well, I went and done it. Actually, I got the Ovation Celebrity CS257. A Korean thing. I thought really hard about getting a US version, but I loved this box, look and sound. Played like grease. I figure if nothing else it gives me something to look forward to, the upgrade.

I did notice that the nut borders on being to narrow. I have, I guess for a guy, moderate sized hands. It works but any smaller would have not been fun.

Also, I am rather rounder than the first time I played an Ovation. But I knew this when I was in the store playing with it. I decided to buy from a dealer, at least this time. I figure the face time is good for if I have problems later. Anyway, the roundness of me and the roundness of the Ovation aren't a real good match, but what the hey, I need to improve my posture anyway. Exercise? Hey, I bought a guitar, what more can you ask?

Sending a pic link http://www.butterflyfx.com/Gallery/Ovation/Img0038/index.htm

Salesman says that the top is solid curly tiger maple. Don't know for sure, I mean salesmen are salesmen, guitars or Cadillacs, but it sure is purtty.

Enjoying being here. My finger tips hurt. Life is good.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for looking.

Skip

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I'm in the love category with Ovations. That one is beautiful.

Welcome to the club. :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@skiph)
Topic starter  

E. Sherman, et al,

I think I am going to like it here.

Skip

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

My local guitar center still has a 2002 with the OP4 preamp in it for sale. $800 US in mint condition. I know because I traded it back in to them.

ReplyQuote
(@skiph)
Topic starter  

I guess that's why they make Fords and Chevys.

I tried a Takamine, a Taylor and a Harrison (not sure of the last, it was one I had never heard of). The Tak was a 1300 USD guitar, it was nice, but for me, all I could think of was to get my hands back on the Ov.

When I can do my Ov justice, I will think about upgrading.

The way I play, even with a 1300 USD guitar, I could kill a group of undercat's kittens. Wouldn't want to do that.

I will get better before I try any solos, I promise.

Skip

ReplyQuote
(@ericthered)

Skiph, your new Ovation is a real beauty.

I'm on the love side with Ovations myself, having owned five of them over the years. The only one I could never sell was my Model 1655 12 string acoustic/electric that I bought new in 1981. There's just something magical about putting your ear against that bowl and playing a few chords.

My Brother has a blue topped version of the one Skiph has. Very nice sound, makes a great axe for slide in open tuning.

ReplyQuote