Clear all

Getting through my first song

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to the wealth of beginner songs on this site I am close to accomplishing one on my goals. Being able to get through a whole song. I have picked Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding. However, hit a road block that someone might be able to help me with. I don't want to yet attempt the arpeggio technique and seem to do well with the transitions on page 5. However, after listening to the MIDI file on top of 6 I lose the song after I complete the measures on page 5. It might be the way I am interperting the lesson. I am not having an issue with the chords or strums. I guess it is reading the lesson. I would love to make it through this song.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Dont know the answer to your question but keep at it, you'll get it. Good luck on that goal.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@donzo)
Eminent Member

Hi ya,

So... I checked the lesson - this is one that I have worked through (mostly). But I don't see any identifiers about which page starts where. Did you print this out and are going on your print out? Maybe you could explain where in the text you are having problems in a different way than relative to the page??

Don

ReplyQuote
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I realized that some of us wouldn't print the lesson. Sorry for being so vague. So....I want to stick to the basics of lessons. If you look at example 4 you will see the transitions. I understand how to play these measures. However, when I listen to the midi file with the example I would like to know what the author is doing to continue the song after one complete run of this example. It seems like I am missing a piece of the song. Is he just repeating?

ReplyQuote
(@donzo)
Eminent Member

Yes, you just repeat.

As you can see from the very top of the lesson, the song goes:

intro
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
bridge
verse
chorus
outro

What he gives you in that mp3 is "intro verse chorus". From there you just keep going, repeating the verse and chorus a second time. For the bridge you need to jump down to the last description, below example 5.

Wow - listened to it again for the first time in a while... David sure makes is sound better than me :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This is a big help. Thank you for the time.

ReplyQuote