Clear all

Good First Electric for an Intermediate Beginner

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gatesofrocknroll)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading the forums here and everyone seems very helpful. I'm in the market for an electric guitar and would like to hear your opinions.

I've been playing acoustic for around nine months (an Epi DR-100 that I adore), and I'm looking for some variety. I play rhythm guitar in my church's praise band. I'm hoping to spend around $350-450, but am willing to go up to 500 if there is a genuine leap in quality.

I have rather small hands, and don't particularly like playing with a pick, if that makes a difference. I listen to pretty much anything, but when I write songs the style is closest to Jars of Clay or Jeremy Camp. Our lead guitarist plays an acoustic-electric, so something that would blend well with acoustics would be best.

I go to school basically in the middle of a corn field in Iowa, so I don't have easy access to a music store at the moment. I will be going to every music store in my hometown during spring break to try guitars and I'd appreciate any tips for trying out electrics specifically and for models/brand I should try out or avoid.

Thanks so much in advance! I decided to post here because you guys don't rip new players to shreds.

- Gels

(And just to warn you: I'm a girl so no wife jokes :) )

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I dont have any advice but its your first post so I wanted to say WELCOME TO GN!! Jeremy Camp is awsome. Good luck on finding your guitar.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

First off , Welcome to GN gatesofrocknroll.
This is a topic that comes up frequently here, so you can find a lot of opinions with a simple search.

Assuming you've done that let's narrow the field of choice.
Is this the total amount for just the guitar or do you need an amp also?
assuming you can spend all of your budget on the guitar there are many to choose from in the $350-$450 range.
$500 is a step up point for a lot of manufacturers but i don't think you need to spend that much for your first electric.

this link (if it works) will take you to the MF pages (9) for solid body guitars in the $300-$500 range sorted highest first
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?page=1&N=100001+306241+10&Ns=P_Price%7C1

this link will hopefully take you to the MF pages (2) for hollow body electrics in the $300-$500 range
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?page=1&N=100001+306242+10&Ns=P_Price%7C1

this link will take you to the MF pages (4) for acoustic/electrics also in the $300-$500 range.

p.s. check your PMs
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?page=1&N=100001+306251+10&Ns=P_Price%7C1

as you can see the choices will make your head spin. It's not that bad tho because there are great choices reguardless of which type you prefer and lots of people here that will give you insight on nearly every brand.

once you decide on the bodystyle/pickup configuration issue it will be a lot easier to find one that you really want.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hands down. get a strat. one of the most versitile and playable guitars ever made.
get the most expensive strat you can afford.
you will never be dissapointed.
you will find playing a strat are great experience.
its like five guitars in one.
flip the pickup switch and you can go from mellow jazz tones to ripping surf treble.
the neck is very playable. the weight wont tear your shoulders apart.
can you surmise I like strats?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I second DogBites suggestion,

$499 plus tax can get you this at MF

A special Strat® to honor Fender's first 60 years.

Celebrate Fender's anniversary with this special version of the Standard Strat. It has most of the Standard Series features while incorporating several key features not normally found in the Standard Strat®: overwound high-output Tex Mex Strat pickups (the same as on the Jimmy Vaughan Strat), a distinctive Blizzard Pearl finish, engraved 60th Anniversary neck plate, and a special anniversary gig bag.

Fender® 60th Anniversary Commemorative Standard Stratocaster® Electric Guitar Features:

Standard Series
Alder body
Maple neck with modern C shape
Maple fretboard
Chrome hardware
Cast/sealed tuning machines
Vintage-style synchronized tremolo
3 Tex Mex single-coil Strat pickups
5-way pickup switching
3-ply parchment pickguard
Master volume
Tone 1 (neck pickup)
Tone 2 (middle pickup)
Blizzard pearl finish
Engraved 60th Anniversary neck plate
Satin tinted neck
60th Anniversary gig bag

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

You could get a Godin Exit-22 for $300- $400.
Godin's are excellent guitars, possibly the best bang for your buck.
Atleast try them out before making your decision, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinexit22p.htm

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@clefairy)

Hi! I'm in the same situation as you - looking for my first electric (actually in the same price range, too)! So far I've narrowed it down to the 60th anniversary strat that TwistedLefty suggested, and I'm also looking at a couple of Daisy Rock guitars... They're made with smaller necks and less bulk just for us girls! I'm hoping to check out a couple of stores over spring break cause I haven't tried playing one yet. Just thought I'd point out that option, too!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

With your small hands it might make sense to look at what's called scale length on the spec of any guitar you choose. Fenders (and of course their cheaper cousins Squier) have 25.5", whereas Gibsons (and so Epiphone, their cheaper brand) Godin and several other makes including Daisy Rock, have 24.75".

Scale length is the distance between the nut - the slotted bit at the top of the neck just under the headstock - and the bridge. That 3/4" might not seem a lot, but believe me it makes a difference, not only in the frets being a little closer together - so easier to finger chords for small hands - but the string tension is significantly less, so easier to fret, quite a bit easier to bend notes, and so on.

Daisy Rock are good guitars, if you can live with their very girly appearance, but so are Epiphone. And Godin - rather expensive here in the UK - are just lovely instruments. Vic's right - but check out their whole Performance range (their less expensive guitars) - the Exit-22 not the only one. The LG series are really gorgeous, subtle, understated but very capable.

Have fun - and play everything before you buy - some perfectly good guitars just won't be right for you. Les Pauls, f'rinstance, are legendary - but I'm kind of allergic to them! Give me a Fender Telecaster any day - yet some people just would never be happy with a Tele - and so on! :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@gatesofrocknroll)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to check out those Daisy Rock guitars. Is there anything that I should be looking for when I try an electric at the store? About all I know about it is that if you plug it in sound should come out of the amp. Also, is it worth it to get one with a tremelo? I've read around that they can make your strings go out of tune.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you prefer to fingerpick, I would go for a hollowbody or semi-hollowbody like this.

Oscar Schmidt OE30

For a very inexpensive guitar, this gets rave reviews. Excellent starter electric.

A semi-hollow like this sounds beautiful fingerpicked. They have a very warm acoustic guitar like tone that would probably be ideal for use in church.

Of course, you can play some harder stuff with these guitars too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

try a telecaster

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote