Good online tutes for beginners?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robbieboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

I am just wondering if anybody could recommend some good websites/online tutes for beginner (acoustic) guitarists? I have tried one or two thus far and found them probably a bit lacking in what I want/need. One recommended to me I found to be well and truly for seasoned guitarists, despite pitching themselves otherwise. The second one I took the trouble to sign up with and work through the tutes including a number of chords new to me- then when I went to have a go at their 'easy' level acoustic section, there was a whole bunch of chords I didn't know and which had not been in the tutes!

I have a basic repertoire of about a dozen chords, and reasonable fluency in changing between them. I have one or two pieces of guitar tab under my belt and can do one or two reasonable sounding arpeggio sequences e.g. R.E.M's 'Everybody Hurts'. But I feel a bit frustrated by my relative lack of progress and for someone with a basic ambition of playing something that sounds like music and in time playing that music for friends and family, I feel like I don't really know anything! (Maybe these are typical peaks and troughs in one's development as a beginner guitarist!) I should mention I have been having weekly one hour sessions of private tuition and have been doing so for about 8 weeks (before this I did a beginner's course at my local adult education centre). My tutor is a great guy, a terrifically talented guitarist and he assures me I am progressing well. But I feel a bit frustrated by what I feel is slow progress, and practising the same bits each week! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

there are plenty out there but this site is much more than just a forum. have you checked the lessons here out?
other than here www.justinguitar.com is very good, he comes across as an exellent teacher

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Probably the best site is https://www.guitarnoise.com/

ReplyQuote
(@robbieboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Guys thanks for your suggestions... I will check them out!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Robbieboy. I second (or third or fourth) the Guitar Noise main web site. It's navigation is a bit odd though. Well, at least it was. Sometime in the last week, they've changed the site. (Looks good, guys!) The links you need are right there at the top. Easy Songs For Beginners and Lessons. (The Easy Songs series all have mini lessons in 'em)

There are also other articles of interest. Looks like David just released his Part 2 on turning scales into solos. Time for me to go read some more. Between him and another GN'er, I'll have this lead stuff figured out soon!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Want to learn how to play specific songs? Search vanderbilly.com. Great site and plenty of songs you can play on the acoustic that I have seen.

I am an absolute beginner, as in, I knew the fingerings of about 4 or 5 chords and knew how to play through 2 scales. I couldn't play a song for my life and I couldn't change between chords for my life. I still can't change between chords, but the pause is getting smaller and smaller.

I found guitar.about.com on my first failed attempt at learning the guitar back in 2005. I revisited and I'm using a combination of that site, justinguitar.com of which I learned about here on this forum, and the easy songs for beginners by David Hodge right here on this site.

The easy songs are great, though I am still not disciplined enough to go through "lessons". I said screw it and while I am practicing my chord transitions and looking at Horse with No Name Easy Song lesson from here (David Hodge), I searched The Rain Song on vanderbilly.com and am learning that one on my acoustic. It sounds awesome, is VERY easy to learn, and within a very short time, I expect to be able to play for someone visiting and impress them, it's that easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwysS7BWwU
11 year old playing Led Zeppelin The Rain Song on youtube. Stated he learned it from vanderbilly.com. This video is the reason I wanted to learn it myself on my acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@robbieboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I haven't had a whole lot of time to check these all out yet, but I have had a look at the afore-mentioned Horse With No Name tute on this site and I must say it looks really well designed and user-friendly. Also today I have had a look at several tunes on ultimateguitar.com and had a go at things like the Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work" and Robbie Williams "Better Man", which to my surprise and delight I could play and actually sounded pretty good!! (Not many chords in them admittedly, but a bit of a breakthrough day for me!!)

BTW mrodgers, very interested to hear about Rain Song (I love Zeppelin) so I will visit vanderbilly- thanks. Although I must say I don't know if I will watch the youtube clip- it might depress me that an 11 yr old can play better than me :(

Thanks again one and all.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

just to add to the other suggestions...this guy is just great for learning actual songs...nice guy too

http://threechordguitar.com/index.htm

enjoy 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote