Clear all

Got rhythm?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@theredd)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think I'm starting to get some sense of rhythm . . . at least I did today. Who knows if it will show up tommorrow? :wink: (I wish I could practice in the morning more often, I seem to be more on my game in the AM)

I mainly wanted to share something I've started doing the past few days, it helps me, maybe some of my fellow n00bs can profit from it as well.

First, a metronome that works real well for me: http://www.pinkandaint.com/weirdmet.shtml . Its much better then a standard metronome, IMO, since you can (easily) program it to sound like actual music. So, I'd suggest it for people like me who have difficulty translating "click-click-click-click" into something related to music :lol:

Second, I concluded that part of my "rhythmically challenged" problem was, I was only trying to play in rhythm when I was doing an exercise that required it! Which means, I was maybe learning how to do something, but in my own sweet time. For example, I had thought I was doing good at changing chords-until I tried playing Horse With No Name. Then I realized I was not at all good at changing chords in a "real world" setting, like in the middle of a song. Thats like learning how to use a hammer without ever hitting any nails :lol:

So, I've started doing ALL my practicing "with the beat". Before I pick up the axe, I start the metronome program (it helps if you have good speakers for your computer, or at least ones with decent volume). Tune up, warmup, chords, scales, whatever-I do it "in time".
Besides helping me get better at rhythm, it has has an added benefit. Like a lot of people, when I make a mistake, I tend to cuss and fume about it; I cant do that very much now, because I have to pick up the beat and get ready to start over when the new measure begins. Instead of thinking about "&#^&(#^#*@( I screwed up again!", I have to stay focused because the metronome is a hard mistress and provides no time for self-pity. :twisted:

Anyways, this method seems to be working for me; I thought I'd share it in case it might be helpful to someone else :note1: :D :note1:

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

hi Redd...sounds like your onto a winner there :D

timing and rhythm are a challenge...i've been playing 18 months and still struggle :?

however...don't lose heart....it is becoming almost second nature (almost) :(

beats and rhythms are all around us if we care to look and listen....simple metronomes called clocks and windshield wipers are good examples......when i walk anywhere now I kinda walk to the beat and when i listen to music I pick up the beat like a natural :D

so sooner or later it will 'click' (no pun intended lol) :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Thanks Redd. The little metronome application looks pretty cool. Almost like a little drum machine rather than a metronome. Nice.

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member

One thing I do differently is don't use the metronome when I am trying to learn something totally new. Once I get the basic fingerings and/or chord changes down, then I start with the metronome.

ReplyQuote
(@theredd)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

One thing I do differently is don't use the metronome when I am trying to learn something totally new. Once I get the basic fingerings and/or chord changes down, then I start with the metronome.

Point well taken 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

It's never too late to start i guess. When i started out I found it tedious to play with a metronome and i discarded it totally for a year. I've been working on timing for the last few weeks and now i'm beginning to appreciate the metronome. Right now i'm having trouble feeling the groove while playing with a backing track as opposed to a metronome but nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of graft. Just bought an RP250 with a drum machine and USB recording, so i plan to record myself and measure improvement.

One more resource i found very useful was Troy Stetina's 'Metal Rhythm Vol 1'. Thanks for all those who recommended it. An excerpt from his site on timing:
http://www.stetina.com/lessons/metronome.html

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote