Notifications
Clear all

Got tens!

41 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

aside from the obvious heavier gauge of the G(from traditional sets) found more tone in chords and riffs.bending was not shabby either.maybe one day I will try all roundwound set.easy on tips too,not that it was really that hard but like it when things move better.makes experimenting even more Fun even when ya know what you wanna play the improv option is still always there.That I happen to like

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm running a set of flatwound 11's on one of my guitars. D'Add Chromes with a wound third. I don't know if it was that string or the whole set of flatwounds, but that guitar got bigger thunder from them.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

IMHO it could be the set but did notice on a set of D'AAd what a difference it made with just the roundwound G
next time I change strings(i'm due anytime now) I'll check out the set of em.kinda look foward to that. :D

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

when you talk about 9s, 10's and such what are you refering to? at first i thought guage but all the packs of strings I seen had .012, .032, .013 stuff like that. the only real listing was very light, light and medium.
oh and bronze and phosphor bronze.

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

when you talk about 9s, 10's and such what are you refering to? at first i thought guage but all the packs of strings I seen had .012, .032, .013 stuff like that. the only real listing was very light, light and medium.
oh and bronze and phosphor bronze.

It's kind of a slang term to describe the size of strings. If someone tells you they bought a pack of 10s, the pack they bought had the smallest string guage of .010. Each of the subsequent strings is a tiny bit thicker than each string in a set of 9s. Exceptions plentiful and obviously marked on packaging. Like Ernie Balls putting out a set of 9s with thicker bass strings than their normal set of 9s.

The other (oh and bronze and phosphor bronze) is just a material. Nick (one of the mods) gave me a good run down on a different thread last Spring. I'll try to find it. Been meaning to hunt it down anyhow.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

FYI folks the G string gauge I was referring to other that what come in string sets is a .018 rounwound string.hope this clears up any confusion when we talk about 9's ad 10''s,etc.prefer the string with any set D'AAd,GHS, and so on

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member

Is there a difference between strings you'd use on an electric vs strings for an acoustic?

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Is there a difference between strings you'd use on an electric vs strings for an acoustic?I doubt it.having not had an acoustic for several years now.depending on the acoustic guitar when I do get one again i'll probably play the string gauge game all over again then go from there.do own a semi acoustic electric though that has to have that string in the set.it does not hurt the Strat either

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Is there a difference between strings you'd use on an electric vs strings for an acoustic?
Yes.

1) The string gauge (thickness) is usually larger for acoustic guitars since you need more vibrating string mass to drive the top. The sort of "normal" top end for electric strings (12's are heavy electric strings) is roughly the bottom end for acoustic strings (12's are light acoustic strings). Some may go heavier on electric and some may go lighter on acoustic but it's not the usual.

2) The material that strings are made of for electric and acoustic guitars is different. Electric guitar strings must be ferro-magnetic to cause a signal in the pickups while there is no such requirement for acoustic guitar strings. Nickel and iron are the most likely ferromagnetic materials for guitar strings. The most common material for acoustic guitar strings is bronze which is not ferromagnetic. Sometimes there are additives to the bronze alloy that are ferromagnetic and give an overall small amount of ferromagnetism.

3) In most acoustic guitar string sets the G string is wound and in most electric guitar string sets the G string is unwound.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

Yes.

1) The string gauge (thickness) is usually larger for acoustic guitars since you need more vibrating string mass to drive the top. The sort of "normal" top end for electric strings (12's are heavy electric strings) is roughly the bottom end for acoustic strings (12's are light acoustic strings). Some may go heavier on electric and some may go lighter on acoustic but it's not the usual.

2) The material that strings are made of for electric and acoustic guitars is different. Electric guitar strings must be ferro-magnetic to cause a signal in the pickups while there is no such requirement for acoustic guitar strings. Nickel and iron are the most likely ferromagnetic materials for guitar strings. The most common material for acoustic guitar strings is bronze which is not ferromagnetic. Sometimes there are additives to the bronze alloy that are ferromagnetic and give an overall small amount of ferromagnetism.

3) In most acoustic guitar string sets the G string is wound and in most electric guitar string sets the G string is unwound.Thanks being do not and never really have trusted Mfg's recommendations as everyone like guitars are different and so are prefernences.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Usually.
Strings for an acoustic can be made of a variety of metals, but strings for an electric must be made of a magnetic metal.

There's no law preventing you from using electric strings (of the same gauge) on an acoustic. If you have an acoustic with magnetic pickups, it is necessary to use strings that the magnets in the pickup can react to.

Classical acoustics have strings made of non-metal materials (nylon, gut, silk)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3