Clear all

Graduation Present Help

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@titus512)
Topic starter  

Hello All,
I've been playing now for about 4 years pretty much just as a hobby by myself. I'm graduating from FSU in August and my parents suggested a new guitar. My price range is between 6 and 7 hundred dollars. At first I was thinking no electronics and a big body Drednaught(I saw a Guild GAD50 for $622 that had a nice sound). But after a day I started to think about a cutaway instead, and when I went to the local shop one guy seemed to think I was nuts for not wanting electronics built into it.

Anyway what are the main differences between cutaways and other body styles? Will the Naught stop me from playing certaint things cause i'm just getting into to playing some small solo riffs.

Should I get electronics built in. (I have no knowledge about this either and if anyone knows a good article around here point me in that direction).

And finally any good brands for that price range? ( I did like the Guild and a Larrivee I saw). Please help the idea of a new guitar is burning a whole in my mind at night. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

The Guild model, or one with a similar number, that you're looking at comes as a cutaway and has a thing on it so you can plug it in. it doesn't actually have electronics built into it, but you can plug it in. It's around $700. I tried it out and almost bought it but got a Martin instead.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

one guy seemed to think I was nuts for not wanting electronics built into it.

Well what does he know. If you would like electronics by all means get one with electronics, Otherwise do not. You have been playing for four years. You know wether you want or need them. I have an acoustic electric that I have had plugged in exactly once. If I ever had to replace it, I could care less if the new one had a pickup.

Anyway what are the main differences between cutaways and other body styles?

Basically a cutaway will allow you to get at the upper frets a lot more comfortably. Supposedly there is a small sacrifice in the sound quality. I have heard some awsome sounding cutaway guitars so I am not sure it that is mostly fiction. Usually they cost a little more. My guitar doesn't have a cutaway, and only on very few ocasions did I find this a handicap.
And finally any good brands for that price range?
You should have no problem finding a good guitar in that price range. I would look for an all solid, or at least the top and back.
There are tons of brands that make very good guitars at that price and everyone has their favorite. I wouldn't dismiss the used market either. You might find a bargain.

Let us know what you decide on.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I should have include a link to some great articles on this site about buying a guitar.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/shopping.php

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote