Clear all

Guitar and Keyboard duo

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rcteigao)
Topic starter  

Hi,

While I'm learning to play the guitar, my wife is starting her steps on the keyboard. I really want for us to play (and progress) together, but I'm having a tough time looking for music sheet that comes with keyboard and guitar parts.

To be honest, I don't really know if the guitar's and keyboard's chords are really different in the same piece of music.

Can anyone give me advices on how my wife and I can play and learn together, and also where to find sheet that comes with both guitar and keyboard parts?

Best,
RCT.

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Guitar and keyboards can sound great together. For example, if your wife played chords in a particular key, you can solo over it. Or vice versa. The possibilities are endless. Take a piece of music and figure out which parts of it she will play and which parts you can play. For beginners, start with very simple tunes.

ReplyQuote
(@rcteigao)
Topic starter  

Take a piece of music and figure out which parts of it she will play and which parts you can play.

Sorry if this is too newbie, but how do I figure it out from a music sheet? Should I look for the sheet for keyboard/synth or divide parts of a guitar tab between guitar and keyboard parts? Or you mean listening to the music and figuring it out?

Thanks,
RCT.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Take a piece of music and figure out which parts of it she will play and which parts you can play.

Sorry if this is too newbie, but how do I figure it out from a music sheet? Should I look for the sheet for keyboard/synth or divide parts of a guitar tab between guitar and keyboard parts? Or you mean listening to the music and figuring it out?

Thanks,
RCT.

Yes, yes and yes.

What a great opportunity for you both to be interested in playing music. You will have great times together. I suggest getting some guitar tab and have her play the chords on the keyboard while you play the lead over it. Then do the same with some keyboard music and you play the chords for her to play over it. Better yet, learn some simple twelve bar progressions and a major or minor pentatonic scale and take turns playing rythum and lead. You will have a blast.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yes yes yes and yes.
there are so many great songs with guitar and keyboard. Ive wanted to cover more Warren Zevon, but w/o a keyboard it isnt the same.
you can use standard sheet music with guitar if you can read. you can learn the melody, chords etc.
I think figuring things out over her playing would be exciting and fun for both of you; she could take a lick over your rythym.
and I bet there is sheet music specific for keyboard and guitar. int his day and age there is music for just about anything.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tom-d)
Eminent Member

Yes Yes MANY songs with keyboard and guitar *COUGH* LYnard Skynard *COUGH* Guns And roses *COUGH*

ReplyQuote
(@rcteigao)
Topic starter  

Great answers!

Lynard Skynard and Guns are great. Can you suggest some more bands/songs?

Thanks,
RCT.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Eagles, Chuck Berry, Just about any Blues tune you can think of, just about any jazz standard you can think of. ELP, Yes, Stones the list is endless

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote