Clear all

guitar and sports

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@techman)
Topic starter  

Hi
I got a serious question about playing guitar and doing workout at the same time .
I play electric guitar and i want to pursue my sport too which is karate my question is : is it going to affect my playing in terms of speed or anything or not ?
Thanks for help
Cheers

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

It shouldn't. You may occasionally have swollen knuckles which may keep you from playing for a couple of days. I used to study muay thai and just started taking karate and never had a problem.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

God bless ya. I couldn't do it. Then again, I can't tie my shoes without having to come up for air.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@techman)
Topic starter  

It shouldn't. You may occasionally have swollen knuckles which may keep you from playing for a couple of days. I used to study muay thai and just started taking karate and never had a problem.
Thanks MARTIN Iam studying Kyokushin and it has got many thing to do with fist and we must work on our hand very much during workout like hiting sand sack and I was concerned about my speed technique on guitar or if my hands could get mealy .

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I would't think so...unless you break a hand on someones skull, that might cause some problems :shock:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

Different sport but:

I found Bouldering very beneficial - to climb the harder problems you have to develop a strong hands and arms( and legs but that should effect the majority of guitar players).

Barres are getting easier now :P

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I made it to brown belt with a black stripe in Tae Kwon Doh. the only sore part of my body were legs and shoulder. the hands were fine. the stamina I gained through strengthening the core I think helped my guitar work outs. a hand injury of course could put you off guitar for awhile so be careful.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I do regular heavy bag boxing workouts. tender knuckles and the very occasional a sore shoulder are the worst WRT playing guitar; yet these never have gotten in the way of playing. I'm careful about proper wraps/gloves and warm-up -- that's crucial.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think most sports are fine with the biggest worry about injuring your hands/arms. Lifting heavy weights especially if you are doing a lot of curls tend to tighten the forearms and you will lose flexibilty especially if you try to play after a hard workout.

I made that mistake one day. We had practice at night and I did a fairly grueling bicep/tricep workout that afternoon at the gym. At 7pm my arms were still pumped up and I could barely hold a chord shape, I'll never do that again.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Eric Clapton used to play Cricket regularly - until he broke a finger taking a catch, then his manager banned him from playing!

NOTE for non-cricketing enthusiasts - a cricket ball is five and a half ounces of cork and leather with a hard, slightly raised seam. It's very easy for a batsman to break a finger if hit by a fast bowler, even wearing padded gloves - or for a fielder to mess up a catch and do some damage to the fingers. No catcher's mitts in Cricket, except for the wicketkeeper!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@techman)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot everyone for replies that was helpful

ReplyQuote